Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Yuzu Tea Chiffon Cake (柚子茶戚风蛋糕)

There was a bottle of Korean Yuzu Tea (Citron Honey Tea) sitting in my fridge with only 2 to 3 tablespoonfuls left so I decided to make good use of it to bake a Yuzu Tea Chiffon Cake  (柚子茶戚风蛋糕) this morning. The recipe was adapted from the same recipe which I used to bake the orange chiffon cake 2 months ago. The only differences which I made to the recipe were : (a) 100g of all purpose flour + 15g cornstarch instead of 115g cake flour since I didn't have any cake flour on hand, and (b) 2-3 tbsp of Yuzu Tea mixed with warm water topped up to a total of 90ml, instead of 85ml of warm orange juice.

The Yuzu Tea Chiffon Cake turned out to be light, soft, springy, and moist and there was a sweet yuzu tea fragrance lingering in the whole kitchen afterwards.


This chiffon cake rose quite high, so to avoid the cake from collapsing and losing its height, I turned off the oven heat when the cake was ready after 45 min, but kept it in the oven with the door slightly open to maintain a gradual instead of drastic drop in temperature (our room temp was only 20 degrees). This was something that I read from a baking book and indeed that helped in preventing the cake from shrinking and collapsing.




I am still not an expert in unmoulding chiffon cakes, as you can see, the area near the centre is a bit bald after unmoulding. :)


Recipe adapted from Florence

Ingredients
115g cake flour (I replace with 100g all purpose flour + 15g cornstarch)
3/4 tsp baking powder
60ml corn oil
2-3 tbsp Yuzu Tea + warm water topped up to 90ml
finely grated zest of 1.5 oranges 
1 tsp rum or vanilla essence
5 egg yolks + 30g sugar + 1/4 tsp salt
5 egg whites + 50g sugar + 1/2 tsp cream of tartar

Method
1. Sieve flour and baking powder together in a big bowl.

2. In another big bowl, use electric whisk to whisk egg yolks with sugar and salt till light and creamy, about 1 min. Add in 60ml corn oil followed by 90ml yuzu tea mixture and 1 tsp rum and mix well.

3.  Add in the flour mixture from step (1) into the egg yolk mixture from step (2) and fold in swiftly and lightly using a spatula.

4. In a dry and clean bowl, use electric whisk to whisk the egg whites until there are big bubbles appearing. Add in 1/2 tsp cream of tartar and beat till it turns white. Add in 50g sugar over 3 times, a little at a time and beat until stiff peaks. (Note that it takes about 5 min at high speed for me. The peaks should hold and point straight without collapsing when you turn the bowl upside down. However do not over beat the egg whites. Note that in order for stiff peaks to be formed successfully, the bowl must be dry and clean without any stains and the egg white mixture should not be stained with any yolks)

5. Pour 1/2 of the egg white mixture from step (4) into the egg yolk mixture from step (3), and use a spatula to fold in swiftly and lightly.

6. Pour the combined mixture from step (5) into the rest of the egg white mixture and again use a spatula to fold in swiftly and lightly.

7. Pour the batter into a 8-inch chiffon pan and bake in a preheated oven at 175 degrees celsius for 45 min or until cooked. Do not line or grease the chiffon pan. Before putting into the oven, use a spatula to smooth out the top of the batter, and bang the cake pan on the table a few times to remove any big bubbles. (When my cake was baking, the cake rose too high and became too close to the top of the oven, so I used an aluminium foil to cover it loosely in the last 10-15 min to prevent it from getting burnt.)

8. When the cake is cooked, turn off the oven and leave the cake to cool in the oven with the door slightly open. Then remove the cake from the oven, invert it and allow it to cool. To unmould the cake, use a sharp serrated knife to first loosen the edges of the cake while it is still inverted, followed by the bottom of the cake, and unmould it slowly and carefully.

Note : This yuzu tea chiffon cake is adapted from an orange chiffon cake recipe which used 85ml of orange juice, hence it is not as sweet as the original orange chiffon cake. If you have a sweet tooth, you need to increase the sugar accordingly.



7 comments:

  1. Lovely looking chiffon!
    Florence's Orange chiffon is my favourite recipe too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i tested with a few chiffon cake recipes and yours is the best! texture is perfect and the sweetness is just right. it works every time I make it. I would recommend your recipe for first time chiffon cake bakers! I tweaked it a little..i used 4 egg yolks and 6 egg whites instead of 5,5. I think using more egg whites will make the cake even more fluffed? I also tried your recipe with different flavours. did an orange chiffon, lemon chiffon and pandan chiffon with the same measurement. just replace yuzu with orange juice (packet juice, I tried freshly squeezed and it wasn't as good, not sure why) + 15g of orange zest. same with lemon chiffon. as for the pandan cake, I used pandan juice..no coconut milk for me! blending the pandan juice is crazy work. I tried using 1 cup of leaves and 1 cup of water and it was good but can be more fragrant. shall try 2 cups of leaves and 1 cup of water the next time. thanks for sharing this great recipe! will be going through your blog for more recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eve,
      Thank you very much for your positive feedback! I am so glad you like this recipe, this recipe was adapted from the orange chiffon cake recipe which is one of my favourite chiffon cake recipes, thanks to Florence. Chiffon cakes have always been one of my weakest links, that's why i seldom bake them, but this chiffon cake recipe is indeed very reliable.

      The next time I bake this cake, I will try adding 4 egg yolks and 6 egg whites as per your recommendation, I am sure the increased egg whites will add more height and fluffiness to the cake.

      I just tried baking pandan chiffon cake few days ago (Sep 2013 archive), and it didn't rise as beautifully as my orange or yuzu tea chiffon cake. Maybe I will try adapting this recipe for my pandan cake instead. As for extraction of pandan juice, I agree it is real hard work! Have you tried blending 5 fresh leaves or 25g (1 cup) mixed with 1 cup water? The leaves must be cut to 1cm strips so that they are easier to blend. You can also try replacing the water with coconut milk, but it's more difficult to blend with coconut milk than water.

      I also highly recommend the koepoe koepoe brand of pandan paste (made in Indonesia) for additional pandan flavour. It is the best pandan paste/essence around in the market, doesn't smell or taste artificial at all.

      Delete
  3. Hey Miss B,

    I read somewhere that pandan cakes require a little more time in the oven as compared to other chiffon cakes. I added 8 mins to my cake and reduced the temp by 10deg. it turned out good but can be a little dryer since overnight chiffon cakes tend to be moist. shall try 10 mins the next time.

    yes I did use 1 cup of pandan leaves to 1 cup of water. perhaps I didn't use coconut milk so my cake wasn't as fragrant as I would like it to be. will try 2 cups of pandan leaves with 1 cup of water the next time since I prefer not to use any coconut milk.

    I tried using pandan paste before but I think the pandan leaves are good enough! so im going to try to be as all-natural as possible since its homemade pandan cake! =)

    FYI, my 'scalded dough' is in the fridge. haha. hope everything works out well tomorrow! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pandan chiffon cake was baked at 180C on the bottom most shelf for a total of 45 min, after the first 15 min, I put a tray on the top shelf to block the heat, and this was only removed after another 20 min.

      Actually if you don't put coconut milk for health reasons, it really won't taste as rich and moist. My pandan chiffon cake was eaten only on the 2nd day, and it was not dry at all. Even on the 3rd day, it was still pretty good. I didn't store it in the fridge since our room temp was only 20 degrees.

      Oh, did you make scalded dough for the sweet bread dough?

      Delete
  4. Hi Miss B,

    I realised you don't have any jap cheesecake recipes.
    thought of sharing this recipe with you! I tried it a couple of times and it was pretty successful.

    egg white mixture
    140 g caster sugar
    6 egg whites
    1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar

    beat till stiff peak.
    add 60 g cake flour + 20 g corn flour

    egg yolks mixture
    50 g butter
    250g cream cheese
    6 egg yolks (as usual, I use 4)
    100ml fresh milk
    1 tablespoon lemon juice

    beat cream cheese and butter first. add the rest in later

    combine both egg white and yolk mixture, pour into greased and floured 9 inch round mould
    steam bake at 160 degrees for 1 hour and 10 mins.

    steam bake : I put my round mould on an oven tray full of water

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eve,

      Thank you very very much for sharing with me your jap cheesecake recipe. I did try a japanese cheesecake not too long ago in July 2013, but it wasn't very successful. That's why I am quite fearful of trying again. But I will try yours as soon as I have the time. :)

      Delete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails