Aspiring Bakers #31 - Bao Ho-Chiak 包好吃 (May 2013)

Looking for the best chinese steamed bun recipe? Here is the Roundup for Aspiring Bakers #31 - Bao Ho-Chiak 包好吃 (May 2013).

And if you are into steaming cakes, don't forget to browse through the Roundup for Aspiring Bakers #25 - Steaming Hot Cakes (Oct 2012).

Thursday, June 14, 2012

How to make a Mama Cake for Mothers' Day


As promised, this is the 3rd part of the series of birthday cakes which I baked in May. The 1st one was an aeroplane cake and the 2nd one was a choo choo train cake.

I did not make this for myself for Mothers' Day. Rather, it was for a friend's belated birthday party which was held on the 3rd Saturday of May (Actually her birthday was in March). Needless to say, this cake was for a belated Mothers' Day and a very belated birthday. My belgian friend would become a first-time mother in November. Let's wish her many bundles of joy with the arrival of her baby!

This cake was made using Swiss Meringue Buttercream Frosting. I made 2 portions of the frosting as this cake was 9 inch big. I won't bore you with the details of the frosting and how to do the crumbcoating here, as I have already explained a bit and also listed a few helpful links in the aeroplane cake tutorial, just click on it and that will hopefully get you started on the journey of cake decoration. :)
 
I got my inspiration from the happy faces cakes I saw on Angies Choice Cakes website. Mine was no where close to those cute happy faces featured by Angies Choice. My hand was not steady enough, and the spectacles which I piped was pretty crooked.

Anyway, in terms of decoration, this cake was fairly simple. Just divide the frosting into 2 portions, a big portion to be coloured pink and a small portion to be coloured brown (by mixing with a little cocoa powder). It was very hot that day, and you could see that my frosting was on the verge of melting. I should have put the frosting back into the fridge to cool every now and then, but I didn't. Luckily it managed to hold up and it survived the 1 hour drive to her house.

I only used 2 decorating tips for this cake - Wilton Round Tip #2 for piping the spectacles and Wilton Drop Flower Tip #106 for piping the hair. As for the mouth, that was piped using Dr Oetker's decorating pens.

After this cake, I would probably not do any more elaborate birthday cakes for the next 3 months, that's way too much work for a mother with a naughty 3 year old toddler and a 4 month old baby. Instead I would like to go back to basics, and bake some chiffon cakes and swissrolls instead. :)


5 comments:

  1. Cute! I like the hair by the way! Those curls remind me of piped buttercream roses - I'm not sure I have the right nozzle for that - or technique!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tip is a drop flower tip #106. I have not uploaded any pictures of my decorating tips yet but here is a picture from Wilton website. http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?sku=pg_dropflowertips

    Yes, the curls are just like piped rosettes, the technique is the same as how you would do a rosette. What you need to do is to do a swirl instead of a drop flower with the tip. Swirl meaning from inner circle clockwise to outer circle. You can also see some drop flowers at the bottom of the curls. And the hair fringes on top are also using the same #106 tip, just squeeze it out and you will get those piped lines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. now that's a lovely cake that i should have made for my mom! love the glittery pink mouth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute!

    I would love to follow your blog for more of your interesting bakes :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Janine and Zoe,

    Thank you! I am always very happy when someone enjoys reading my blog or eating my cake. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails