Aspiring Bakers #31 - Bao Ho-Chiak 包好吃 (May 2013)

Looking for the best chinese steamed bun recipe? Here is the Roundup for Aspiring Bakers #31 - Bao Ho-Chiak 包好吃 (May 2013).

And if you are into steaming cakes, don't forget to browse through the Roundup for Aspiring Bakers #25 - Steaming Hot Cakes (Oct 2012).

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Orange Chiffon Cake


I am back, albeit for a short while, to liven up this blog of mine, lest anybody thinks that I have long given up cooking or blogging, neither of which is true. Wow, it's been a whopping 3 months since I last wrote something on this blog. Actually, I have been very productive this few months, and the result of my 9 months of productivity has just borne fruit in February, which explains my absence till now. :)

Yesterday, when my 6 weeks old baby was fast asleep, I quickly took out all my baking utensils and whipped up this orange chiffon cake in record time. From measuring the ingredients to putting the cake in the oven took me just 20 minutes. I had to grind the orange zest and that took quite a while. Nevertheless, I was quite impressed with how fast I could bake under stress. :) The baby had already started whining even before the 20 minutes was up. Looks like I have to find other recipes that will enable me to bake in 10 minutes or less. :)

Here is how my Orange Chiffon Cake looked like. Did I tell you how I always failed when baking chiffon cakes, and I only realised recently that contrary to what I thought, there was nothing wrong with my baking technique. It was perfect, just that I had been using the wrong baking pan (savarin mould)? Anyway, I finally bought a decent-looking chiffon cake pan online a few months ago, and this is my first time trying it out. I read somewhere that it's best to leave the chiffon cake for a while in the oven with the door open, to let it cool down gradually instead of quickly removing it from the oven, so that was what I did, since our room temperature was only 20 degrees. My chiffon cake only dipped very slightly on top. :)




Orange Chiffon Cake Recipe adapted from Florence

Ingredients
115g cake flour (I replace with 100g all purpose flour + 15g cornstarch)
3/4 tsp baking powder
60ml corn oil
85ml of warm orange juice (warm up in microwave for 30 sec)
finely grated zest of 1.5 oranges
1 tsp rum or vanilla essence
5 egg yolks + 30g sugar + 1/4 tsp salt
5 egg whites + 50g sugar + 1/2 tsp cream of tartar

Method
1. Sieve flour and baking powder together in a big bowl.

2. In another big bowl, use electric whisk to whisk egg yolks with sugar and salt till light and creamy, about 1 min. Add in 60ml corn oil followed by 85ml orange juice and 1 tsp rum or vanilla essence and mix well.

3.  Add in the flour mixture from step (1) into the egg yolk mixture from step (2) and fold in swiftly and lightly using a spatula.

4. In a dry and clean bowl, use electric whisk to whisk the egg whites until there are big bubbles appearing. Add in 1/2 tsp cream of tartar and beat till it turns white. Add in 50g sugar over 3 times, a little at a time and beat until stiff peaks. (Note that it takes about 5 min at high speed for me. The peaks should hold and point straight without collapsing when you turn the bowl upside down. However do not over beat the egg whites. Note that in order for stiff peaks to be formed successfully, the bowl must be dry and clean without any stains and the egg white mixture should not be stained with any yolks)

5. Pour 1/2 of the egg white mixture from step (4) into the egg yolk mixture from step (3), and use a spatula to fold in swiftly and lightly.

6. Pour the combined mixture from step (5) into the rest of the egg white mixture and again use a spatula to fold in swiftly and lightly.

7. Pour the batter into a 8-inch chiffon pan and bake in a preheated oven at 175 degrees celsius for 45 min or until cooked. Do not line or grease the chiffon pan. Before putting into the oven, use a spatula to smooth out the top of the batter, and bang the cake pan on the table a few times to remove any big bubbles. (When my cake was baking, the cake rose too high and became too close to the top of the oven, so I used an aluminium foil to cover it loosely in the last 10-15 min to prevent it from getting burnt.)

8. When the cake is cooked, turn off the oven and leave the cake to cool in the oven with the door slightly open. Then remove the cake from the oven, invert it and allow it to cool. To unmould the cake, use a sharp serrated knife to first loosen the edges of the cake while it is still inverted, followed by the bottom of the cake, and unmould it slowly and carefully.


Updated on July 2012 :I made another similar Yuzu Tea Chiffon Cake based on this Orange Chiffon Cake.

4 comments:

  1. Big Congrats on the 9mth productivity - you kept that quiet! ;)
    (I'm just as guilty being quiet on blogging front - been doing lots of cake making and baking though :p )

    Congrats on your chiffon - second chiffon cake I've seen today on a blog - it's giving me the cravings to bake one now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Plumleaf,

    You are also a little bit quiet on your blog, I miss your bakes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Miss B

    Congrats ! THAT explains your absence. It has been a while, and good to see you baking again, the dept where I am slowly exploring and appreciating. I hope to get baking tips from you. Thanks for the tip abt getting the moulds online.

    Hope you're not having too many sleepless nights, and chapeau to you on making this quick and yet successful bake. Gotta get me the mould real soon :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations - that's great news. Great looking cake, too. Ten minute bakes might be a bit of a challenge, especially if you include washing up time.

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails