Sunday, December 4, 2011

Marble Cake

I still have half a kilo of butter sitting in my fridge which is expiring in 2 weeks' time, so the thought of making a butter cake or a marble cake immediately sprang to my mind. Making a marble cake was probably the fastest way (not necessarily the best way though, in terms of healthiness) to get rid of at least 250g of butter, I thought. 

So here is a simple but delicious marble cake recipe adapted from Violet Fenying's old blog (which has ceased to exist).

Sorry for the bad lighting, but here is 1/4 of the marble cake left...

Ingredients A
250g butter (room temp, cut into small pieces)
225g fine sugar (I reduced to 200g)

Ingredients B
250g eggs (I used about 5 medium eggs, each 55g each)

Ingredients C (sifted)
250g cake flour
5g baking powder (about 1.5 tsp)

Ingredients D
75g milk
1/2 tsp vanilla essence

Ingredients E
20g cocoa powder (sifted)
60g hot water


Method

1. Dissolve Ingredients E with hot water to form a cocoa paste, set aside.

2. Blend Ingredients A evenly in the mixing bowl at medium speed.

3. Add eggs one at a time, combine well.

4. Reduce speed, alternately add Ingredients C and Ingredients D to the batter in three additions, mix well with spatula.

5. Spoon 1/3 of the mixture into a bowl and add in the cocoa paste.

6. Pour the batter into the a lined 20cm baking tin by alternating spoons of vanilla batter and cocoa batter. (I used an unlined and ungreased 23cm bundt pan, I find that there is no need to grease the pan as the butter content is high enough).

7. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180°C for 45-50 min and remove from oven.

8. Transfer cake to a wire rack and leave to cool.

2 comments:

  1. Great looking cake. OK, so it's a lot of butter but I reckon it's well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Miss B. I would love to invite you to join Homebakers.Alliance. :)

    My mission is to
    - Unite every passionate homebakers in this planet.
    - Improve the branding and quality of homebaked goods.
    - Making them the preferred choice (compare to factory products) by the consumers.

    Please join us and revolutionize the baking industry.

    http://homebakers-alliance.com/

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails