Saturday, October 29, 2011

Teochew Png Kueh 潮州饭桃


Teochew Png Kueh 潮州饭桃 (peach shaped rice dumpling) is one of my favourite chinese kuehs. It usually comes in either pink or white and is always shaped as a peach. Do you know why? Legend has it that the Monkey God Sun Wu Kong (Journey to the West) stole and ate the peaches of immortality during the royal banquet held by the Jade Emperor in heaven. And he attained immortality after eating them. Hence it is a custom for chinese people to always offer peach buns or peach dumplings, both symbols of longevity or immortality, as offerings to the gods during religious ceremonies. The pink ones are offered to the gods who dwell in heaven, whereas the white ones are offered to the ancestors who dwell in hell. :)


I was busy the whole friday afternoon making png kueh and steamed tapioca kueh. One was successful and the other was a complete disaster! :( As this was the 2nd time I failed in making tapioca kueh this month (the first was baked kueh bingka ubi), I swear to myself not to make anything with frozen grated tapioca again, unless I can somehow find fresh grated tapioca in Belgium. Somehow all my experiments with frozen grated tapioca failed miserably. But I am glad that my first attempt at making png kuehs turned out to be great, at least they saved my day, otherwise I would be sulking for the whole night!!! I guess I would probably stop at making any kuehs for this month, it is simply too much work and nobody appreciates them except myself!!!


The recipe for my png kuehs is adapted from Violet Fenying's old blog (which has ceased to exist). I halved the recipe and managed to make 6 pieces out of 320g of dough. But the glutinous rice filling, even though already halved in portion, was far too much for the dough. My png kuehs were actually meant for dinner. However they were still not ready for steaming by the time hubby and toddler came home, so the 2 boys ate the remaining big pot of glutinous rice instead for dinner, while I continued labouring in the kitchen. :S



Ingredients for Glutinous Rice Fillings
Ingredients A
250g glutinous rice (soak 1 hour, drained)

Ingredients B
2 pieces of shallots (chopped)
3 cloves of garlic (chopped)
a handful of dried shrimps, about 25g (washed)

Ingredients C
3 pieces of chinese mushrooms (shredded)
100g pork (washed, cut into thin strips)
100g chinese sausages (chopped into small pieces)

Ingredients D
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tbsp sesame oil
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 piece of chicken stock granules (crushed)
1/2 tbsp light soya sauce

Method for Glutinous Rice Fillings
1. Heat up 2 tbsp of oil, add Ingredients B and stir-fry at medium heat till fragrant.

2. Toss in mushrooms and pork, stir-fry till fragrant.

3. Add glutinous rice, fry till fragrant. Add Ingredients D and fry till well combined.

4. Dish the rice into a 20cm steaming tray, add water to level with the rice and mix well.

5. Transfer to steamer, steam over high heat for about half an hour until cooked.


Ingredients for Skin
110g rice flour
10g glutinous rice flour
7g tapioca flour
500g water
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp red colouring

a handful of tapioca flour for kneading

Method for Skin
1. Combine all the ingredients and mix well, strain into a non-stick pot.

2. Using medium heat, stir and cook to form a dough. Turn off heat and remove from pot when dough is formed.

3. Add some tapioca flour and knead into smooth and non-sticky dough.

4. Divide dough into equal portions and roll each into a round ball (I made about 320g of dough which I divided into 6 portions of 45-50g each). Flatten each ball of dough slightly with your palm and wrap up 1 heaped tablespoon of glutinous rice filling.

5. Using a brush dipped with some oil, grease the inside of the peach-shaped mould each time before pressing in the dough. Knock the mould lightly to dislodge the kueh and then place it on a small piece of banana leaf.

6. Transfer the kuehs to the steamer, steam over medium heat for 10 to 15 min till cooked.

7. (Optional) Dish up, brush with fried shallot oil and serve.



I am submitting this to Aspiring Bakers #12: Traditional Kueh (October 2011), hosted by SSB of Small Small Baker.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, you had made so many tedious kuih-muih. I love peng kuih and your mold is so pretty! I bought the mold the last time I went back in 2008, until now I have yet to make it. I was planning to make glutinous rice for dinner tomorrow, not sure whether I will have some leftover to attempt this. Or else too much work. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe, I dunno why I succeeded in making those tedious kuehs, but failed terribly in those simple ones such as kueh bingka ubi and ondeh-ondeh :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow i agree that your mould looks absolutely lovely - and the end result looks close to perfect - the color, everything looks like it's store bought!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there I'm wanting to get hold of this mould but cant find them in NZ, where did you get them from? Do they have a website? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jessica,
    I ordered them from www.bakingfrenzy.com, they are based in Malaysia, but they charge you british pounds for your order, I got it for 2.99 pounds, just type peng kueh mould in the search box. I hope the shipping fee will be cheaper for u in NZ., if they ship from M'sia. On the other hand, you can try contacting Sonia (nasilemaklover.blogspot.com), she has just opened a webshop recently, maybe she can source the product for u.

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails