Saturday, October 15, 2011

Steamed Mini Pumpkin Kuehs with Red Bean Paste Fillings (迷你金瓜红豆糕)

Chinese New Year is still a long way to go, but don't you think these look like mandarin oranges? :)


I still had 1 small piece of frozen pumpkin left after making my pumpkin huat kuehs 2 days ago. I saw this interesting recipe on another blog and decided to try it, since the ingredients looked simple and didn't require too much sugar. I have been trying to cut down the amount of sugar intake recently, after realising that the 1 kg of crystal sugar which I just bought 2 weeks ago disappeared in no time. It seems like I have been making too much sweet desserts recently. :S

This recipe is fairly simple and straight forward. I reduced the recipe by half, and managed to make 6 miniature pumpkins out of it. The only thing I noticed was that I had to add a little bit more glutinous rice flour than required in the recipe (in fact 20g more) as the dough was still quite wet and sticky after adding 80g of flour.


So here is my recipe, adapted from Florence (Do What I Like).

Ingredients (makes 6 pieces)
150g pumpkin, peeled, cut, steamed and mashed
80g glutinous rice flour (I added 20g extra)
20g sugar
some red bean paste, about 60g (I used my frozen home-made red bean paste)

Method

1. Steam the pumpkin till cooked, about 10-15 min.
2. Mash the hot pumpkin with sugar till well blended.

3. Knead in glutinous rice flour til the dough becomes pliable and does not stick to your hands.

4. Divide the dough into pieces of 30-35 gram , flatten each piece of dough into a small circle, wrap in 1 heaped teaspoon of red bean paste, seal it properly and roll it round.

5. Shape it like a pumpkin by using the back of a small knife to draw out the grooves of a pumpkin. Take a clove each and stick it on top of each pumpkin to let it appear as a stalk.

6. Place each shaped pumpkin onto a square piece of greased baking paper or banana leaf and place them into a hot steamer to steam for 10 minutes.  


Note: After seeing the finished product, I think my steamed pumpkins are a little wrinkled, I wonder if it is because of steaming at high heat? So maybe next time I would try steaming at medium heat for 10 min, or reduce the steaming time, if ever I were to try it again.

This is not a traditional chinese/malay/nonya kueh, as I have only seen it on 2 blogs and I have never seen it sold anywhere in Singapore, but I like the thought and creativity that went behind the invention of such a simple and yet lovely dessert. So I am still going to submit this to Aspiring Bakers #12: Traditional Kueh (October 2011), hosted by SSB of Small Small Baker.

3 comments:

  1. These look like real pumpkins! And it's even better because even the stalk is edible :D

    I also replied you on my post as to where to get chiffon cake tins - if you want small ones, Daiso has $2 ones which are pretty good. As for the normal sized ones, just head to Phoon Huat and you should be able to find them. Sun Lik and some departmental stores (like Robinsons) might have them too :) Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is very pretty!! The shape is so gorgeous!! I like it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails