Aspiring Bakers #31 - Bao Ho-Chiak 包好吃 (May 2013)

Looking for the best chinese steamed bun recipe? Here is the Roundup for Aspiring Bakers #31 - Bao Ho-Chiak 包好吃 (May 2013).

And if you are into steaming cakes, don't forget to browse through the Roundup for Aspiring Bakers #25 - Steaming Hot Cakes (Oct 2012).

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Ang Ku Kueh Sio Sio, Jiak Liao Tio Beh Pio !!!

Orh Ni Gu, Kok Ka Nah.
Chup Jee Hueh,  Cho Ah Mah.
Ah Mah Terng, Ah Mah Teh,
Ah Mah Tao Jiak Ang Ku Kueh.
Ang Ku Kueh Sio Sio, Jiak Liao Tio Beh Pio.
Tio Jip Bah, Hor Lang Pah.
Tio Jip Cheng, Hor Lang Jeng.
Ah Mah Kah Chng Ang Ang...


Have you ever heard of this hokkien childhood rhyme about Ang Ku Kueh?

I certainly wish that after eating my own ang ku kueh, I can also strike lottery just like Ah Mah (granny), and I dun mind getting punched and having red buttocks for that. :)

Ang Ku Kueh (Red Tortoise Kueh 红龟粿) has always been my all-time favourite chinese kueh. When I was still working in Singapore, I used to go to Alexandra Village at Bukit Merah Lane 1 for the famous hawker treats there - they have not just one, but two very famous AKK shops there, one is called Poh Cheu (寳洲), while the other one is called Kuehs and Snacks (Lao Shen Ah Mah Teochew Kueh 老婶阿嬷潮州粿). They both sell all kinds of traditional handmade kuehs such as ang ku kuehs, soon kuehs, ku chai kuehs and png kuehs. I would never leave the AV area without buying a box of ang ku kuehs or soon kuehs home. Besides AKK, the AV area is also famous for the HK Street San Lou Hor Fun, Liu Jia Ji Nasi Lemak, Depot Road Zhen Shan Mei Laksa,  and the famous avocado milk shake. It was no wonder that I grew very fat while working in that area.....

Anyway, back to the topic for today. I finally ordered my wooden ang ku kueh mould and png kueh mould and got them shipped from Malaysia!!! Yippee!!! Let's make good use of the moulds and see if I can churn out some traditional kuehs out of them...

Sorry for the poor lighting, as my fotos were hastily taken tonight using my small fuji camera. My hands were full, busy steaming AKK & baking roast chicken at the same time. :)


I browsed through quite a few AKK recipes and finally decided on one that looked simple and easy for my maiden attempt. So here is the recipe I adapted (I halved the recipe and made some adjustments) from Rose Kitchenette.

Ingredients for Skin (makes 11 pieces)
150g glutinous rice flour
75g sweet potatoes
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp corn oil
125-150ml warm water (I only used about 100ml)
less than 1/8 tsp orange or red colouring
Banana leaves cut to small squares or circles

Ingredients for Peanut Fillings:
150g ground, roasted peanuts*
60g castor sugar (reduced from 75g)
some water (I used about 30 ml)

*Method for Peanut Fillings:
Prepare 150g peanuts (without shells but with skin) on a baking sheet and place it in a preheated oven at 160 degrees celsius for 10 min. After 10 min, shake the peanuts a little and continue for another 10-15 min until nicely roasted. When they are nicely roasted, you would be able to peel off the peanut skin easily. Place the peeled peanuts with sugar and water in a food blender and pulse a few times until it becomes a smooth ground peanut paste. Note that the consistency of the peanut paste will depend on how much water you add and how long you grind. You may also add a little peanut oil during blending to give it a fragrant peanut taste.

Method for Skin
1. Cut the sweet potatoes into small pieces and steam for 10-15 minutes till cooked and soft. Mash through a sieve and set aside.

2. Sieve the glutinous rice flour into a mixing bowl. Make a hole in the  centre of flour and add the sugar, mashed sweet potatoes and corn oil. Add the coloured water (warm water + red or orange colouring) a little at a time and  mix and knead well until the colouring is even and dough is pliable. If the dough is too dry, add a little more water. Knead till the dough does not stick to your hands, adding more oil if necessary. Let the dough rest for 20-30 minutes.

3. Divide the dough into equal portions and roll each into a round ball.  (I made about 330g of dough which I divided into 11 portions of 30g each). Flatten each ball of dough slightly with your palm and add about 1 heaped teaspoon of filling (I used homemade peanut paste and red bean paste fillings). Pinch and seal the edges to enclose the filling.

4. Using a baking brush, brush a little oil to lubricate the inside of the ang ku kueh mould each time before pressing the dough into the mould. Knock the mould lightly to dislodge the kueh and then place it on a piece of banana leaf.

5. Place all the ang ku kuehs in a preheated steamer and steam on high heat for 5 minutes.  Remove the lid from steamer to let out excess steam after 5 min. Cover and continue steaming for another 5 min. Total 10 min.

6. Remove the ang ku kuehs from steamer and brush lightly with corn oil to prevent sticking. Cover with banana leaves to keep them soft.

Note: This dough was very easy to handle and I had no problem sealing the fillings or moulding and unmoulding the kuehs. However, I noticed that my AKK had very beautiful and distinct prints before steaming, but after steaming, the prints seemed to fade a little bit. Is this normal? As this was my first time making AKK, I couldn't explain the reason why. I think it could either be due to steaming for too long or the heat was too high. Other than that, this is a very good recipe that I would recommend to AKK beginners. 



I am submitting this to Aspiring Bakers #12: Traditional Kueh (October 2011), hosted by SSB of Small Small Baker.

5 comments:

  1. Hi, Can you please help me find plastic Ang Ku Kueh mould somewhere in Kuala Lumpur near Jalan Petaling (Chinatown)?
    Thank you for helping. My email is soworthy@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I can't help you, I don't live in KL and I am not Malaysian either, so I am not familiar with that area. Maybe some other readers can help you?

      Delete
    2. Maybe you can refer to the list of shops at this link and call the shops and ask, note that I am not the owner of the blog below, and neither I have been to any of the listed shops. I am just trying to help.
      http://y3kfreerecipes.blogspot.be/2009/09/baking-ingredients-kitchen-equipment.html

      Delete
  2. Would you be able to provide the contact details of the shop where you bought the wooden mould in Malaysia? How much did you pay for it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't reply to anonymous persons as a matter of principle, pls leave your name behind if you wish a reply from me.

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails