Thursday, September 1, 2011

Red Bean Bun / Tau Sar Pau (豆沙包)

I have been craving for red bean buns or tau sar pau recently so I decided to make some on Sunday. This time round, I ran out of bao flour, and had to make do with plain flour. The recipe didn't really indicate that I have to use bao flour, all it said is just flour, so I presume plain flour should be ok. But in the end, my buns turned out to be a bit yellow on the outside and more wrinkly (just like my buttocks :) ) and the buns were not as soft as when I used bao flour.



I think the making of my red bean buns or tau sar pau (dou sha bao 豆沙包 in mandarin) was more straight forward than my meat buns, at least I didn't have to do special pleating on top. (The pleating is really the tough part, I still remember my "smiling" meat buns, I could never close them completely.) Nevertheless I still made use of this opportunity to practise my pleating for meat buns. What was time-consuming was the extra effort I put in to make my own red bean paste from scratch and that took me almost half a day, but the effort was well worth it. I will post the recipe for the red bean paste shortly.

Special pleating, note this is not how a typical red bean bun would look like!

Here is the recipe adapted from my one and only bao-making recipe book - Homemade Chinese Steamed Bun (居家手工包) by Koh Sai Ngo, Yong Leng Chin

Skin Ingredients
1/2 portion of basic bao skin (pls refer to here)

Filling Ingredients
300g ready-made or home-made red bean paste (tau sar) filling

Method

1. Divide the bean paste fillings into 12 equal portions

2. Divide the basic bao skin into 12 equal portions, rest for about 10 min under a kitchen. Take a portion of the bao skin and roll it into a small circle.

3. Put in the red bean paste fillings and wrap well. Repeat this step until all the bao skins and fillings are finished.

4. Put the wrapped baos/buns aside, and let them rest for 25 min under a kitchen towel.

5. In the meantime, heat up a steamer on high heat, let the water come to a boil before putting in the buns for steaming for 15 min.

This post has been submitted to YeastSpotting.



[Updated 2 May 2013] For a much better version of bao dough, check out the following recipes:
1. Simple Char Siew Bao (29 July 2012)
2. Hong Kong Style Smiling Char Siew Bao (2 May 2013)

1 comment:

  1. Love the pleating! I can't work out how to do that!? I've seen that style of double pleating on frozen chicken dumplings in the chinese supermarket!

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails