Friday, September 30, 2011

Onde Onde - My First Attempt


This is one of my favourite malay / nonya kuihs, it is called Onde Onde or Ondeh Ondeh. It is made of glutinous rice flour coated with shredded coconut and the filling is made of gula melaka or palm sugar.

Today was my first time making onde onde (pronounced as on-nay on-nay) and honestly speaking, it was much more difficult than I thought. There were some hiccups along the way and I only succeeded after throwing away the 1st two balls. I think my dough was a tad too moist such that the gula melaka filling became wet when in contact with the dough. As a result, the dough tore easily and the gula melaka filling oozed out for quite a few of them.


Some good lessons are learnt during the process. Well, first thing you must make sure that your palms are floured with glutinous rice flour before you start rolling them into balls. The dough should not stick to your palm, if it does, you need to rework it by adding more flour. I prefer to make them all into balls, before filling each one by one with the filling. Then you flatten each ball slightly and spoon 0.5 to 1 tsp of gula melaka filling into the dough, then pinch the corners of the dough together and seal it properly. Here is the tricky part: if you are too greedy and put in too much filling, sooner or later you will realise that the gula melaka filling will become wet due to contact with the dough, this causes the dough to thin out and tear and the filling will start to ooze out. So the trick is not to put in too much filling and just quickly roll it round using your palm which is slightly floured, dun try to be perfectionist and roll it around too much.

And the other important thing which I realised, if you leave your onde onde on the plate for too long while waiting for the water to boil, it gets stuck to the plate and since the weather was quite warm today, somehow the gula melaka filling began to leak out from the bottom of my onde onde...oh double whammy!!! So moral of the story is to quickly get a big pot of boiling water ready before you finish rolling the balls so that as soon as you are ready, you can quickly dump the balls into the boiling water. Once the balls start floating to the surface, you can quickly remove them using a slotted spoon and coat them generously in a plate of steamed shredded coconut.

I am not quite happy with my 1st attempt at making onde onde, so I am not going to post the recipe for now. I will probably try another recipe and see how it works out the next time. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails