Saturday, September 17, 2011

Homemade Pumpkin Kaya Jam (金瓜咖椰)

Yesterday I was struggling with the huge pumpkin the whole afternoon, and later busy whipping up fried pumpkin rice and at the same time cooking and stirring my pumpkin kaya jam, that I didn't have much time to snap some pictures of the pumpkin kaya jam.

But here it is.


I love it much more than the not-so-successful kaya jam which I made for my Old-school Kaya Buns. This is creamier, smells and tastes of pumpkin and coconut, and took me much less time and effort. With the help of the custard powder, it was easier for the pumpkin kaya jam to thicken and set into a jam. And I didn't have to worry about lumpy bits. Of course, this also resulted in the bright orangey-yellow colour due to the addition of the custard powder. Which I may not be able to circumvent if I wanna make the pandan kaya jam which is supposed to be green in colour instead of orangey-yellow.)

So here is my adapted recipe for my pumpkin kaya jam. Note that there isn't a single egg in the recipe, so it is very suitable for vegetarians. :)


Recipe adapted from Fenying's 我的厨房笔记

Ingredients

500g pumpkin, steamed and mashed
300g coconut milk
180g brown sugar (I used cassonade graeffe from Belgium)
2 tbsp custard powder
1/2 tsp salt
4 pieces of pandan leaves (optional - I did not use any)

Method
1. Peel the pumpkin, remove the seeds, cut it into thin slices, and steam it until cooked and softened. Mash it while still hot.

2. In a big bowl, add in coconut milk, sugar, custard powder and salt to the mashed pumpkin. Stir and mix evenly. Then strain everything using a sieve into another bowl.

3. In a non-stick pot, pour in the pumpkin kaya mixture and cook over low heat. Add in pandan leaves (optional). Cook and stir constantly until the mixture has thickened and set (about 15 min).

4. Remove the pandan leaves and allow the mixture to cool. Keep in sterilized glass jars and store in fridge.

Note : I realise that the pumpkin kaya jam is a bit too sweet for my liking, maybe bcos I am using the belgium cassonade sugar. In any case, please adjust the amount of sugar to your taste. The original amount of sugar stated was 200g brown sugar, I have used only 180g sugar but I think it can be reduced further.

3 comments:

  1. just discovered your blog via yeastspotting and loving your recipes from Singapore - can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chef Mireille,
      Welcome to my humble blog and I hope you like it here :)

      Delete
  2. Hi!
    Stumbled upon your post at food bloggers. Love this recipe! I can't wait to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails