Aspiring Bakers #31 - Bao Ho-Chiak 包好吃 (May 2013)

Looking for the best chinese steamed bun recipe? Here is the Roundup for Aspiring Bakers #31 - Bao Ho-Chiak 包好吃 (May 2013).

And if you are into steaming cakes, don't forget to browse through the Roundup for Aspiring Bakers #25 - Steaming Hot Cakes (Oct 2012).

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Pandan Chiffon Cake - finally a success!!!





I finally did it!!! Last night was my umpteenth attempt at making the famous Pandan Chiffon Cake. Being an overseas Singaporean, I have a constant craving for any food which is typically Singaporean or Malaysian. I had tried at least 3 times with different recipes in the past few years, and every time it was a flop. Ended up my 2 chickens had a great feast with what my hubby called the green grass cake, something that he would only taste a teeny weeny bit out of respect for the 'master chef' in the house. 

This is one of the reasons why I absolutely hate making chiffon cakes. I have never had much success with it, cos I always picked the most difficult chiffon cake to start with, the pandan chiffon cake, and it always inevitably ended up being a big flop, god knows why. And ever since then, I would swear not to make any chiffon cakes forever. Well, I had an inkling of what actually could be the reasons behind my numerous failed attempts. At first I thought it was my oven temperature, but it couldnt be cos I never had problems with making breads or other cakes. It couldnt be my skills of beating egg-whites either, I had enough of practice. I think it has something to do with my curious looking cake pan. I thought it was the most peculiar looking tube pan that I had ever bought. I bought it from one of the Phoon Huat baking supplies shops in Singapore. I simply thought that it was one of those factory rejects, cos it didnt look like a chiffon cake pan, nor an angel cake pan, but still I was convinced that it is a cake pan meant for making chiffon cakes. It has a curved unremovable bottom and the 'tube' is as high as the height of the cake pan. Everytime I baked my pandan chiffon cake, it would rise very high, and then all of a sudden, green blobs of cake batter would drop onto the bottom of my oven and start sizzling. Before long, my whole kitchen would reek of a burnt charcoal smell. In a bid to remove the charred substance, I would always open the oven door even before the time was up (a big no no), and that inevitably let in a draft of cold air and my chiffon cake would sink like Titanic.

This time round, when I finally plucked up enough courage for my Nth attempt, I took a good look at my cake pan to confirm its dimensions before I started baking, and saw to my surprise that this is actually a 'savarin mould'. Oh my goodness, so I had been making chiffon cakes with a 'savarin mould'. God knows what that is! How stupid I was, no wonder I never succeeded at making pandan chiffon cake! Arrgghhhhh.....

Anyway, it's glad to know that you can still make a successful chiffon cake with a 'savarin mould', not that I would encourage anybody to do that. I would have to invest in a proper chiffon cake pan, provided I can find one in Belgium. it seems that nobody ever makes chiffon cakes here in Belgium. I have been trying to look for one in ages, to no avail. Worst comes to worst, I would have to go back and buy one in Singapore then.

Thanks to this recipe I saw from Ching of Little Corner of Mine, my pandan chiffon cake was a big success. There were some small hiccups during baking, such as the overflowing of the batter from the savarin mould which caused some green charred mess which I had to clean up, and the cake was rising and browning too fast that I had to cover it with an alum foil. Eventually my cake rose beautifully and sank just a little, within 30 seconds after being out from the oven. I quickly snapped some pictures and quickly inverted it and let it cool for at least 30 min using a glass to anchor the tube of the cake pan, but the cake still tumbled a few times from the glass. When the cake finally cooled down, I loosened the edges using a sharp knife, I thought it was gonna be difficult to unmould it from the cake pan so I shook it hard and plop, the whole cake fell flat on the table. My heart nearly sank, luckily it broke only a little at the bottom and there was no significant damage to the top of the cake.

This pandan chiffon cake turned out to be quite soft, rich and moist. I ate a few pieces and my little boy also ate 2 pieces. Unfortunately my hubby doesnt appreciate pandan cakes so I would have to finish the cake all by myself. I dunno whether I will make another pandan cake again in the near future cos nobody eats it except myself and perhaps my little boy. Pandan cake is not very healthy due to the amount of sugar and coconut milk. But in my humble opinion, I think pandan chiffon cake, when well-baked, is one of the most delicious cakes one could ever dream of. :)




 

4 comments:

  1. Congrats, you did it! Luckily you didn't give up and gave it a try. At least whenever you still have a craving for it, you know you can make it again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ching,
    Thanks a lot for ur recipe. I learnt a lot from ur blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your success. My hubby used to hate fluffy cake and pandan but guess what. With times he comes around and now he don't mind eating it. I hope it will be the same with your hubby :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WooHoo! Congrats! It can be hard to master and making mistakes means we learn NOT to do them next time! I make Orange Chiffon from Do What I Like's blog. My husband can't get used to the light moist airy texture but I think it's lovely and pillow soft! I can't make a successful pandan though - I made it once and it was a sickly green colour - rather off putting - but probably great for a halloween party! >.<

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails