Monday, August 29, 2011

Mini Apple Pie 迷你苹果派

I baked these mini apple pies on Sunday. This is my first time trying out this recipe and I really like it bcos it is quick and easy, and it contains only a bit of sugar and butter, the rest are all apples. Very healthy and completely guilt-free. :)

Out of convenience for this recipe, I used a ready-made puff pastry bought from the supermart, but if you choose to make your own pie crust, you can follow my flemish yeast dough recipe.

Recipe adapted from 孟老师的下午茶

Ingredients (makes 5 apple pies)

1 ready-made puff pastry (Marc Payot pâte brisée)
200g green apples *
20g fine sugar

10g unsalted butter
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1/2 tsp corn flour
1 egg, beaten

*Equivalent of 2 big apples,  peeled, cored, and chopped into 1cm pieces

Method

1. Heat up a non-stick pan over medium heat. Add the chopped green apples and fine sugar and cook til the sugar has melted and the apples have softened. Then add in butter, cinnamon powder and corn flour, stir and cook til the apple mixture is thickened and caramelised.

2. Cut out a 10cm by 10cm square piece from the puff pastry. The ready-made pastry I bought from the supermart is about 34 cm in diameter and can yield at least 5 square pieces. Scoop about 1.5 to 2 tablespoonfuls of apple fillings onto each square piece of pastry and use a baking brush to wet the sides with the beaten egg mixture. Fold the square piece into half (that makes the pie 10cm by 5cm). Press down lightly with your fingers and use a fork to make indentation along the sides.


3. Use a sharp knife to make a cut every 1 cm apart on the top of the pastry (about 5 cuts). Brush the top with the egg mixture again. 


4. Bake in a preheated oven (in the upperhalf of the oven) at 190 degrees celsius for 20 min or until the apple pies have turned golden brown.


I am submitting this to Aspiring Bakers #10: Easy as Pie (August 2011), hosted by Janine of Not the Kitchen Sink!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my you're staying in Antwerp! I was studying in Leuven for a year a while back, and I miss Flanders so much! I'm so envious that you're living there now!

    Anyway, thanks for your submission - the apple pies really look really good, better than those you can get at MacDs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janine,

    Actually I am staying in the suburbs of Antwerp province, not within Antwerp city itself. Leuven is indeed a very beautiful university town, with a much nicer atmosphere than the rest of the cities in Flanders, I would say. I am sure what you miss here in Flanders are the beer and the food, and not the cold weather. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails