Thursday, March 31, 2011

Peach Coconut Muffin (杏桃椰香马芬)



I am currently into baking cookies and muffins and small cakes at the moment. Thanks to my newly acquired treasures, a series of 3 taiwanese baking books which my sister "painstakingly lugged all the way" from Taiwan to Singapore and I also "painstakingly lugged all the way" from Singapore to Belgium. Well the three books must have clocked a lot of mileage then.That is 3000 + 10500, oh my god, a total of 14500 km! :)

Well, it was really coincidental how it all happened. I was reading someone else's food blog which mentioned a few recipes from this famous author who writes baking books, quite famous in Taiwan it seems. I had the author and the book title jotted down so that I would make a conscious effort to search for it in the Singapore national library during my next trip home.

Somehow, my sis happened to be on a short trip to Taiwan, it was something impromptu and she didn't tell me in advance. Anyway she was online on MSN in Taiwan, and I was chatting with her, so I casually asked her to look out for baking books from this taiwanese lady author who calls herself 孟老师 (her actual name being 孟兆庆). I wanted to get my hands on 1 book in particular (孟老师的100道面包). In the end, my good old sis got not just one book, but three books from the 孟老师 series. She couldn't find the one on bread, but bought the book on afternoon tea (孟老师的下午茶), handmade biscuits (孟老师的100道手工饼干) and little cakes (孟老师的100道小蛋糕). Thank you sis, so sorry you couldn‘t taste my muffins in Singapore, maybe the next time then. :) 

Ok, long story cut short. Today I tried 2 types of muffins from one of the 3 books, the first being this Peach Coconut Muffin (杏桃椰香马芬) and the second one which I am gonna post later is Milk Tea Muffin (奶茶马芬). 

I really like this Peach Coconut Muffin, the rich creamy coconut taste, the crunchiness of the dessicated coconut, plus the sweetness of the dried fruits scattered here and there. My efforts in utilising expired baking products have so far not gone in vain, thank god! And I am still not in a rush to go to the toilet, bless my stomach! ;p

Here is my little kitchen helper trying to grab a muffin while I was busy snapping away with my camera.


Adapted from taiwanese recipe book 《孟老师的100道小蛋糕》

INGREDIENTS
100g dried peach/apricot
2 whole eggs
100g fine sugar
100g oil
200g coconut milk
100g dessicated/grated coconut
160g plain flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda

For Decoration Purpose
some dessicated/grated coconut

METHOD
1. Cut the dried peach/apricots finely and set aside.

2. Using an egg beater, beat the eggs and fine sugar together in a big mixing bowl, then add in oil and mix well.

3. Add in coconut milk and mix well.

4. Add in dessicated/grated coconut and use a rubber spatula to mix it gently.

5. Sieve the flour, baking powder, baking soda. Add sieved ingredients into the mixture in (4) and mix it gently using the rubber spatula. Do not overmix.

6. Add in the diced dried peach/apricot and mix it gently using the rubber spatula. Do not overmix.

7. Finally, use a tablespoon to scoop the mixture into lined muffin cups until about 70% full.

8. If you wish, you can sprinkle each muffin with some dessicated coconut before placing them in the oven.

9. Bake the muffins in a preheated oven at 190C for 25-30 min.

Note: This makes about 12 muffins, with some leftover which I baked in mini-tart form. I used two "TEFAL" 6-hole muffin pans, of which the diameter of each muffin cup is 6.5cm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails