Aspiring Bakers #31 - Bao Ho-Chiak 包好吃 (May 2013)
Aspiring Bakers #31 - Bao Ho-Chiak 包好吃 (May 2013) is coming. Stay tuned to this blog as we help you find the BEST CHINESE STEAMED BUN (BAO) recipe, guaranteed to be delicious! Bao Ho-Chiak 包好吃! Submission starts from 1 May 2013 to 31 May 2013. The round up will be held on 1 June 2013.
Thursday, November 18, 2010
This bread is called American Butter Cheese Bread but I nicknamed it ABC bread, for the fun of it. I dun see anything american with this bread, actually I was very much tempted to call it BBC bread or Belgian Butter Cheese Bread. But since I didn't invent this, so it's better to stick to the shortform of its original name, ABC bread.
I baked this bread last week when I was not so sick and I only managed to upload it now, now that I am feeling a little bit better than before. I am still nursing my bronchitis so I won't be making bread this week until I am fully recovered, otherwise all the germs will be kneaded into the bread while I am coughing away. Sounds disgusting huh? Hehe.
I have no idea why my bread didn't turn out the way it should. It should look like my golden crown raisin bread with distinct little humps, but it looked more like a cake than a bread. It must be the ugliest bread that I have ever baked. But nonetheless the taste was still good, though I would very much prefer a richer taste of cheese, maybe I should try to include cheddar cheese in addition to cream cheese.
Here is the recipe adapted from Alex Goh's Magic Bread
150g bread flour
105g boiling water
250g bread flour
100g plain flour
20g milk powder
8g instant yeast
135g cold water
1 cold egg
80g cream cheese (I used philadelphia cheese with mixed herbs)
1. Add the boiling water from A into flour, mix until well-blended to form dough. Cover and set aside to cool. Keep in fridge for at least 12 hours.
2. Mix B until well-blended. Add in C and knead to form rough dough. Add in A and knead until well-blended.
3. Add in D and knead to form elastic dough. (Check out my sweet bread dough post to see how to achieve an elastic dough which satisfies the membrane test and poke-a-hole test)
4. Let it proof for 40 min.
5. Divide the dough into 18 pieces, 50g each and mould it round.
6. Place 9 pieces of dough into a greased 23 cm tube cake mould, let it proof for 50 min. Make 2 pans.
7. Egg wash the surface and bake at 175C for 30 min.
This post has been submitted to YeastSpotting.