Thursday, November 18, 2010

ABC Bread


This bread is called American Butter Cheese Bread but I nicknamed it ABC bread, for the fun of it. I dun see anything american with this bread, actually I was very much tempted to call it BBC bread or Belgian Butter Cheese Bread. But since I didn't invent this, so it's better to stick to the shortform of its original name, ABC bread.

I baked this bread last week when I was not so sick and I only managed to upload it now, now that I am feeling a little bit better than before. I am still nursing my bronchitis so I won't be making bread this week until I am fully recovered, otherwise all the germs will be kneaded into the bread while I am coughing away. Sounds disgusting huh? Hehe.


I have no idea why my bread didn't turn out  the way it should. It should look like my golden crown raisin bread with distinct little humps, but it looked more like a cake than a bread. It must be the ugliest bread that I have ever baked. But nonetheless the taste was still good, though I would very much prefer a richer taste of cheese, maybe I should try to include cheddar cheese in addition to cream cheese.

Here is the recipe adapted from Alex Goh's Magic Bread

INGREDIENTS A
150g bread flour
105g boiling water

INGREDIENTS B
250g bread flour
100g plain flour
20g milk powder
65g sugar
6g salt
8g instant yeast

INGREDIENTS C
135g cold water
1 cold egg

INGREDIENTS D
60g butter
80g cream cheese (I used philadelphia cheese with mixed herbs)


METHOD
1. Add the boiling water from A into flour, mix until well-blended to form dough. Cover and set aside to cool. Keep in fridge for at least 12 hours.

2. Mix B until well-blended. Add in C and knead to form rough dough. Add in A and knead until well-blended.

3. Add in D and knead to form elastic dough. (Check out my sweet bread dough post to see how to achieve an elastic dough which satisfies the membrane test and poke-a-hole test)

4. Let it proof for 40 min.

5. Divide the dough into 18 pieces, 50g each and mould it round.

6. Place 9 pieces of dough into a greased 23 cm tube cake mould, let it proof for 50 min. Make 2 pans.

7. Egg wash the surface and bake at 175C for 30 min.


This post has been submitted to YeastSpotting.

5 comments:

  1. i wonder if you have any healthy bread recipes to share. Wholemeal bread...multigrain... ten grain...anything that is good for health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann,
      Thanks for visiting.z
      I dun have any wholemeal bread recipes yet, but I do intend to start baking them when the weather gets warmer. Stay tuned. :)

      Delete
  2. i love baking just like you too especially baking bread. i have all the alex goh books that you mentioned. i am from malaysia and getting those books is not a problem. they are being displayed all over the shelves in the Popular Book Shops. I have tried out most of his recipes but still it cannot be the same as those selling in the bakery shops!! Those in the bakery shops like Bread History, Bread Story (just to name a few) are so soft like tissue bread. How did they do it?? I was told to put bread improver and bread softener. Still...the bread is soft when just taken out from the oven but the next day it becomes hard again. What is wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann,
      Most bakeries put bread improver in their breads, and they have special recipes which we won''t know. But the key is keeping bread fresh is to keep it sealed and enclosed in a bread bag. Don't let air in, it will stay fresh and soft longer. Even breads baked in Belgian bakeries turn hard after a day or two, so I dun think it has to do with your baking skills. I know from an acquaintance who has a bakery in Belgium that they do use special bread flour mix that they get from suppliers that sell specifically to bakeries.

      Delete
  3. Hi Ann,
    I made some rotiboy (mexican coffee buns) over the weekend using Alex Goh's recipe (the recipe is also in my blog), and I must say they still tasted good on the 3rd day. I warmed it up in the microwave for 45 sec before eating. The buns will taste hard naturally if you don't keep them sealed and warm them up before eating.

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails