Sunday, October 3, 2010

Orange Marmalade Loaf

I made this today after seeing the ingredients on Plumleaf's blog. She was so kind as to publish the ingredients on her blog even before her baking starts so that both of us can bake in tandem during the weekend. After the successful baking of the plain white loaf and earl grey milk tea loaf last Friday, thanks to Plumleaf, this time she will share her recipe on orange chocolate chip loaf while I will bake an orange loaf (but without the chocolate chips) based on her recipe, I call it the orange marmalade loaf. :)

Even though my little philips went on strike this morning (quite common for belgian workers to go on strike by the way ;p), I still managed to get the dough working using my bare hands, phew! As usual my little one, His Majesty, wanted to have a share of everything, so he was the first to try my orange marmalade loaf, see how quick he was at snatching the first piece of bread here :)


He sure knew how to pick the best, the crust!


Can you see how the little specks of grated orange zest and how fine the texture is? It is very soft like cotton and springy to the touch. You can definitely taste the orange marmalade inside. :)

[Updated on 5 Oct 10] As promised, here is the recipe I adapted from Plumleaf (see her original recipe here).  The steps are about the same as my previous post on earl grey milk tea loaf and white loaf, except that I halved the quantity such that it is enough for making only 1 loaf.

Step 1 : Prepare the preferment dough half a day or one day in advance, preferably 17 hours ahead. Dissolve the yeast in water. Add bread flour, sea salt, skim milk powder and knead until soft. Cover the dough in cling wrap. Refrigerate to let it prove for 17 hours. (I only let it prove for 12 hours)

Preferment Dough
bread flour  (70%)  231g, 
water  (40%)  132g, 
fresh yeast  (2%)  7g, or instant yeast 2.5g (0.82 tsp)
sea salt  (1%)  3g or 0.75 tsp 
skim milk powder  (2%)  7g

Step 2 : Prepare the ingredients for the orange marmalade loaf.
 
Dough for Orange Marmalade Loaf
bread flour  (30%)  100g, 
skim milk powder  (3%)  10g, 
sea salt  (1%)  3g, 
sugar  (10%)  33g, 
water  (2%)  6g or 1 tbsp, 
egg  (6%)  20g, 
orange marmalade  (24%)  80g, 
fresh yeast  (1%)  3g, or instant yeast 1g (0.35 tsp)
unsalted butter  (8%)  26g, 
grated zest of 1 orange, about 10g

Step 3 : Cut the preferment dough into small pieces.

Step 4 : Knead all ingredients of dough together, including the orange marmalade and grated zest (but except the butter). Add preferment dough piece by piece.  Knead after each addition until soft and smooth. Add butter.  Knead until stretchable consistency. Put the dough into a big bowl. Cover with cling wrap and let it prove for about 25-30 minutes. 

(In addition to the 6g water added which is about 1 tbsp, I added an additional 1 tbsp water as I found the dough a bit dry. As compared to the plain white loaf which I baked last Friday, I found the dough of this orange marmalade loaf much easier to knead by hand, it wasn't so wet and sticky due to the orange marmalade and the grated zest. I let it prove for about 1 hour.)

Step 5 : Divide the dough into six small equal portions. Flatten each portion with your hands to drive the air out. Flatten the dough into a rectangle shape with the heel of your hand, and then starting at the top, roll the short end up tightly on itself like a swiss-roll, then cover with cling wrap. Set aside to rest for about 20 minutes, or until doubled in volume. (I let it prove for about 20 min)



  
Step 6 : Flatten each piece of dough with your hands to drive the air out. Roll each out into a rectangular sheet with a rolling pin. Fold about 2cm from both sides towards the centre and roll it out again.  Roll the dough up (the width should be the same as the loaf tin) and put them into the mould.  Cover with cling wrap.


Step 7 : Let it prove for about 40-45 minutes or until the dough has risen to 80% of the depth of the loaf tin. Close the lid. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 170-180 deg C for about 30-35 minutes. (I let it prove for 1 hour and baked it in the lower half of the oven at 180C for 35 minutes. The loaf measured about 720g just before popping into the oven and it was baked in a 30x15x10 cm loaf tin without lid.)

Once again, thanks to Plumleaf for her recipe!


This post has been submitted to YeastSpotting.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful looking loaf! Well done!
    Tandem baking was fun! Not sure what I'm baking next weekend yet - so we'll see! ;0)

    Will finish my post with the bread photos and my mishaps and findings :0( Mind was elsewhere whilst making the dough.

    My lil' prince is waaay too young to be eating bread or anything other than milk at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks good and I love the crust, nicely brown!

    It sure sounds like you girls had lots of fun tandem baking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya, its quite fun, unfortunately I am quite tied up right now, so cant spend much time with baking and cooking :(

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails