Aspiring Bakers #31 - Bao Ho-Chiak 包好吃 (May 2013)

Looking for the best chinese steamed bun recipe? Here is the Roundup for Aspiring Bakers #31 - Bao Ho-Chiak 包好吃 (May 2013).

And if you are into steaming cakes, don't forget to browse through the Roundup for Aspiring Bakers #25 - Steaming Hot Cakes (Oct 2012).

Friday, October 29, 2010

Japanese Sweet Potato Bread


I haven't been updating my blog for the past 1 week. I was busy preparing for my Dutch test held at the university earlier this week and then I caught a cold and just as I thought the first cold or flu was gone, now I am suffering from a second bout of flu. I am sure that they belong to different strains, one more serious than the other, and I am also quite sure that I caught it from my son who got it from the creche. Honestly the creche is a hot bed of all viruses, I have lost count of how many times I have fallen victim to the viruses from the creche. The funniest thing is, His Majesty my son never seemed to suffer as badly as I did from any of these viruses or bacteria. Apart from a constant runny nose for the past 1 week, he didnt cough or show any signs of sluggishness. His immune system is definitely better than mine, thanks to the breastfeeding he had til he turned one! Now as I am writing, I am sniffing and coughing and the skin around my nose is all sore and peeled due to the persistent sneezing and rubbing. I should take a winter flu shot if it helps me to battle all these cold and flu attacks for the coming winter.

Anyway back to the bread I baked few days ago, it is called Japanese Sweet Potato Bread. No, the sweet potato I bought from Colruyt was not from Japan, I have no idea where it was imported from, it could well be a holland or belgian sweet potato. This is a sponge dough recipe from Alex Goh and the result is a soft, springy bread, that has a slightly sweet flavour. I was hoping that the flavour would be more intense, but alas, my sweet potato was not made in Japan, so it wasn't that sweet after all. But His Majesty finished 2 pieces of the bread when it came straight piping-hot from the oven. :)


Recipe adapted from Alex Goh's Baking Code

INGREDIENTS A
300g bread flour
35g sugar
3 g salt
1.5 tsp instant yeast

INGREDIENTS B
60g overnight sponge dough
(Click here for the overnight sponge dough recipe)

INGREDIENTS C
145g cold water
30g eggs (half of an egg)

INGREDIENTS D
120g sweet potato, cooked and mashed with fork
30g butter

METHOD
1. Mix ingredients A until well-blended. Add in ingredients B and ingredients C, knead to form a dough.

2. Add in ingredients D, continue to knead to form a smooth and elastic dough.

3. Mould the dough round, place it in a bowl and cover with cling wrap. Place in a warm place to allow it to proof for 45 min.

4. Divide the dough into 6 equal portions and mould it round. Place the 6 pieces of dough into a greased loaf tin. 

5. Let it proof for 50-60 min or until its size doubles.

6. Bake at 180C for 25 min.


This post has been submitted to YeastSpotting.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely loaf! I still have to bake with sweet potatoes.
    Have a great weekend!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Done EEWIF! Have seen similar in my 2 bread books, been meaning to do same, not got round to it. My mum would love this!
    She has seen a bread with purple mashed potato - bread is a beautiful colour! Can only get purple sweet potato in Chinese store & is twice cost of regular orange flesh sweet potato.
    Hope you recover soon - Honey & Lemon in water will do you good! Dope Dutch exam went well too!

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails