Sunday, October 17, 2010

Golden Crown Raisin Bread


This is a recipe taken from the other Alex Goh book which I have, called Baking Code. This book focuses more on baking continental cakes, cheese cakes and plain cakes, but there is also a small section each on cookies, pastries and breads. I think "Baking Code" was published in May 2008, just a year before  "Magic Bread" was published in July 2009, hence there was no mentioning of the gelatinized dough starter method. Instead most of the breads in this book used the overnight sponge dough starter method.

Regardless of whether it is the gelatinized dough or the overnight sponge dough method, Alex Goh's bread recipes have been a constant source of inspiration for my bread baking experiments at home. I find his recipes clear and easy to follow, and I am glad that I have his books with me in Belgium, as his books are definitely a good investment for my little kitchen. :)


Recipe adapted from Alex Goh's Baking Code

INGREDIENTS A
400g bread flour
100g plain flour
20g milk powder
65g sugar
6g salt
10g instant yeast

INGREDIENTS B 
100g overnight sponge dough *

INGREDIENTS C
2 cold eggs
180g cold water

INGREDIENTS D
90g butter

INGREDIENTS E
200g raisins

* How to make overnight sponge dough
100g bread flour, 60g water at room temp, 1/4 tsp instant yeast.
(Mix the instant yeast with 20g water until well-blended. Add in the rest of the ingredients and knead to form a dough. Let it proof for 30 min. Wrap it up with clingwrap and keep in the fridge overnight or up to 48 hours.)

METHOD
1 Mix ingredients A until well-blended. Add in ingredients B and C, mix to form a dough. (The overnight sponge dough should be cut into smaller pieces before adding.)

2. Add in ingredients D, mix to form a smooth and elastic dough. (Check out the steps here to see if the dough has achieved the right consistency.)

3. Mix in ingredients E, mix until well-blended. (Note that you have to soak the raisins in a bowl of water for a few min, drain off the water, and dry the raisins before use. This will make the bread taste soft and moist.)

4. Cover with a greased clingwrap. Allow to proof for 50 min in a warm enclosed place, for eg an unheated oven with a bowl of boiling water inside.

5. Divide into 100g each. Mound it round. Place 8 pieces of dough round the side of a greased 20 cm round baking pan. Allow to proof for 50 min, again covered with greased clingwrap and put in a warm place. (The dough weighed about 1300g, and I divided it into 13 pieces of 100g each. I placed 8 pieces into a 20 cm round baking pan, and the remaining 5 pieces in a small loaf pan.)

6. Egg wash the surface and bake at 180C for 20 min.

3 comments:

  1. Yum! You're very good at baking bread. I really want to get some of Alex Goh's books now. Are they English and Chinese or only Chinese? Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Esther,

    I just started baking. I am just following recipes, and I still have a long way to go! The 3 Alex Goh's books which I own, have English recipes alongside the Chinese recipes, so u dun have to worry about not understanding Chinese. If you are interested, here are the details of the books :

    1) Baking Code - ISBN 978 967 5114 137
    2) Magic Bread - ISBN 978 967 5114 908
    3) Joy of Making Cookies - ISBN 978 962 3659 314

    I bought them in Singapore and they cost around SGD16 each. I suppose you can also buy them online but they will be more expensive considering the shipping costs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That yummy raisin buns would be good for my breakfast tomorrow, but alas I only have some old bread in the fridge. I'll probably make french toast out of them.

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails