Thursday, September 9, 2010

It is harvest time - Updates on my garden

It's been a month since I last updated on the progress on my home-grown veggies. August has been a pretty wet and cold month as compared to July, so our veggies have been well-watered but the growth is a bit stunted due to the lack of sunlight. This is a typical belgian summer, so to speak.

Remember the dying courgette plant which I wished R.I.P. ? Strange enough, another courgette has grown from the plant when I thought it was on the brink of death, and it is a very big courgette weighing 1.35 kg! Seems my prayers have worked, or did the plant hear my eulogy and decided to spring back from the grave? This is really what we say in Chinese 起死回生. So the moral of the story is, never to curse or swear at a dying plant, who knows it may still crawl back to life! :)



The 3 pumpkins have also grown from the size of an orange to the size of a basketball in about a month's time. It is amazing to see one pumpkin hang itself from the vine, about a metre above ground. It must have weighed a few kilos but it seems to be able to hold up quite well against the formidable forces of gravity.


I have delayed the harvesting of the 3 pumpkins since I badly need to clear my fridge to make way for the pumpkins. I still have cucumbers and tomatoes from Aunty Gaby, a few carrots, 1 big cabbage and not to forget the 1.35kg huge courgette. Not to mention, we also have a big bag of leftover meatballs (frikadellen) from our saturday party.

So I have lined up quite a few veggie-related recipes to get rid of my stock. Tomato soup was one which I already attempted and published in my blog. Acar is another one which helped me to get rid of the cucumber which would otherwise be left untouched by the other 2 big boys who refused to eat cucumber on its own. Cauliflower soup or courgette soup is next, and then pumpkin soup, followed by pumpkin pie, pumpkin cake, pumpkin rice...there is no end to it when you need to get rid of so many pumpkins. Well, I am lucky enough to have only 3, I saw a neighbour with more than 10 pumpkins lying around in the garden. Maybe I can wait til Halloween and carve a jack-o-lantern out of those pumpkins. Why not? hahaha.

1 comment:

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails