Aspiring Bakers #31 - Bao Ho-Chiak 包好吃 (May 2013)

Looking for the best chinese steamed bun recipe? Here is the Roundup for Aspiring Bakers #31 - Bao Ho-Chiak 包好吃 (May 2013).

And if you are into steaming cakes, don't forget to browse through the Roundup for Aspiring Bakers #25 - Steaming Hot Cakes (Oct 2012).

Monday, September 27, 2010

Ham and Cheese Bread


After my successful attempts at baking sandwich bread and sausage cheese bread last week, I decided to try a slightly more challenging recipe, more complicated in the sense that I would have to shape the dough in a certain way in order to make the ham and cheese bread. I did this last friday night, but was too busy during the weekend to upload the photos. The photos I took were not sharp as it was done at night and my kitchen was pretty dark. Moreover, it was technically challenging to shape the dough and take photos with one hand. It was kinda messy and my little fuji camera ended up full of flour and sticky dough after the photo-taking session, arrgghh!!! :(

Nevertheless, I managed to take the step-by-step photos of the dough-shaping exercise. Hopefully they will be useful for those who would like to try out this recipe. It is quite easy once you get the hang of it. It was my first time at shaping the dough and I was quite pleased with my progress at bread-making and dough-shaping. Every week I make some progress and maybe one day I can open my own bakery, hahaha.

But I wasn't really satisfied with my final product though. The buns had risen well but the mayonnaise topping made them look sticky and not so visually appealing, maybe I had piped too much??? 

On hind sight, maybe I shouldn't put mayo cos then the buns could not be kept for long and had to be eaten within a day. Luckily, I thought of a way of keeping the buns without the sticky mayo touching each other and making them soggy. I wrapped each of the buns in a separate aluminium foil and store them in the fridge for the next day. It is best to consume them as soon as possible, preferably within a day, even when kept in the fridge.

Recipe for Ham and Cheese Bread adapted from Alex Goh's Magic Bread

INGREDIENTS
slices of ham
grated cheddar cheese
spring onion or chives (diced)
mayonnaise

METHOD
1. Prepare sweet bread dough in advance. Divide the dough into 60g each and mould it round. ( I cut them into 80g each and made 12 buns in total.)

2. Let it rest for 10 min (covered with greased clingwrap or damp tea towel and kept in warm enclosed place), then flatten it on a floured work surface. First use the palm of your hand to flatten the dough and drive out the air, then use a floured rolling pin to roll it into a round shape.

3a. Place a slice of ham on top of the dough, roll it up as shown below.


3b. Fold it into half as shown below. Cut through the centre to 3/4 (do not cut til the end) using a pair of kitchen scissors.

Fold the rolled dough into half.
Turn the rolled dough around.
Make a cut about 3/4 through the dough.
3c. Open it up and press it down flat. This is how the final shape should look like. 


4. Place the buns into a lined and greased pan, cover and let them proof for 45 min in a warm enclosed place or until doubled in size.

5. Egg wash the surface. First, sprinkle some grated cheddar cheese and diced spring onion, then pipe some mayonnaise onto the bun (using a piping bag/kit).



6. Bake at 190C in the middle shelf of a preheated oven for 12-15 min.


This post has been submitted to YeastSpotting.

5 comments:

  1. Love the way the ham & cheese bun have been shaped! Great step-by-step photos! I have to remember to stop each stage to take photo and my husband's little fuji camera gets covered in flour too! Good job I don't use his Canon SLR for that kind of work!
    Looks like the perfect thing to bake for my husbands breakfast! How many buns does it make?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sweet bread dough recipe yielded about 1 kg of dough, so depending on how big you want your buns to be. It will be 16 buns (of 60g each), 14 buns (of 70g each), and 12 buns (of 80g each).

    You remind me that your earl grey milk tea loaf is still on my to-do-list :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with what PlumLeaf said. :) The first picture looks so good. The mayonnaise is glistening and the bread looks so successful. This is going to be another recipe I'm adding to my lunch to make list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This bread looks so good!! I love the way you shaped it =) I'm definitely trying this out next time I make bread!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! They do this at my local Asian supermarket and I was like HOW?!?! Thanks so much for recipe and technique!

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails