Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Butter Sugar Bun (牛油面包)



This is my 3rd bread in a week. I just checked my supplies, alas my bread flour is running low. It used to be 5 kilos, now only 200g left. This goes to show that either I am making many breads or I have wasted a lot of flour, LOL. Luckily the sugar and eggs don't get depleted as quickly as the flour, and that is the reason I am so much into this bread-baking than cake-making recently. 

Today I did another of Alex's bread again. Wow, now I am even on first-name-calling terms with him :) it is not as if he knows me personally but at least I know his sweet bread recipes like the back of my hand...hahaha. But I wonder, is it really necessary to make the dough 12 hours in advance like he always advocated in his book? Hmmph, I must do a science experiment. The experiment will probably go like this : make 12 batches of sweet bread dough, cool them overnight in the fridge, and take them out 1 hour apart from 1 hour later to 13 hours later, then knead each one of them according to the steps and bake them batch by batch, again 1 hour apart. Then ask a panel of blindfolded judges to taste the breads, and see if they observe any difference in taste and softness. Haha, I must be totally nuts to even think of this, who is going to knead non-stop by hand for 12 hours? And who is going to ensure that my hands are not sore, and my baby is not screaming, and my hubby is not complaining that I am neglecting him again. Yah man, bread-making is back-breaking hard work ok, now then you know. I have long realized that long ago, but I like hard work. :)

Ok, ignore what I just said, in case you decide that you gonna give up trying this recipe. The sweet bread dough starter doesn't require kneading for 12 hours, it only requires cooling in the fridge for 12 hours. I am just hallucinating. :)

Now, back to business. Today's bread of the day is *drums rolling* - Butter Sugar Bun or Sugar Butter Bun or (牛油面包). It is very easy, if you know how to make the sweet bread dough using Alex's recipe, then it is just a matter of poking some holes, piping the butter and sprinkling some sugar. Sounds easy huh? 



Adapted from Alex Goh's Magic Bread

INGREDIENTS
Adequate soft butter and fine sugar

METHOD
1. Prepare sweet bread dough in advance. Divide the dough into 80g each and mould it round. (The sweet bread dough is about 1.0 to 1.1 kg so it will make 12-13 buns of 80g each.)

2. Let it rest for 10 min (covered with greased clingwrap or damp tea towel and kept in warm enclosed place), then flatten it on a floured work surface. First use the palm of your hand to flatten the dough and drive out the air, then use a floured rolling pin to roll it into a round shape, about 1 cm thick.

3. Place the buns into a lined and greased pan, cover and let them proof for 45 min in a warm enclosed place or until doubled in size.

4. Egg wash the surface. First, use the fingertip to make small indentations over the dough, then pipe some soft butter using a piping bag/kit over the indentations, and finally sprinkle the top with sugar. 

5. Bake at 180C in the middle shelf of a preheated oven for 12 min. 
 

My suggestion : You may try piping the indentations with liquid honey (choose those honey bottles with a nozzle) and sprinkle the top with brown sugar. I made a couple of those honey and brown sugar buns, you can see them sitting below the butter-sugar ones. I must say I much prefer the honey option as it is less messy than piping soft butter, and tastes better too.

This post has been submitted to YeastSpotting.

4 comments:

  1. Yay, another bread post. I like the sound of honey and brown sugar with the bread. Thanks for sharing this recipe. For the piping, do you use disposable piping bags or the cloth piping bags? I want to get some, but I don't know which type I should get.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol bread obsession has bitten you then! ;0) I can understand the desire to achieve the perfect soft fluffy bread! Now you have got me wondering whether to try buns or a loaf next? :0s

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi x3baking,

    I have a very cheapo piping bag that cost 1.50 euro and came with 4 nozzles. It looks disposable to me, haha. It is made of nylon I think. I couldn't pipe properly with that, but then again I just learnt piping. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is my cup of tea! i like the honey on top.

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails