Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Leek with Ham and Cheese Au Gratin

俗话说得好,还是自家种的菜好吃。
As the saying goes, vegetables from your own garden taste the best.

See the celeries on the left and the leeks on the right?

This is our 1st year eating vegetables from our own backyard. Needless to say, I try to make sure that we make use of our home-grown vegetables as much as possible, in every single dish. So much so that my hubby assumes that whatever veggies that are served on our dining table come straight from the garden. Well, not everything. You know, we only have a limited variety of veggies and some are not doing particularly well, for instance the carrots. Don't ask me why, the roots just don't grow. It's quite a failure. Not the leek though. They are doing pretty well. But when it comes to leek, I am pretty clueless on how to make a dish out of it.


I was thinking of making a leek soup, then I remembered my earlier posting on Witloof with Ham and Cheese Au Gratin. Hey, we can do the same with leek too. Why didn't I think of that? I thought I would be able to get the credit for inventing this new dish but apparently this is a typical belgian dish. So great minds think alike!

The ingredients are almost identical, except that we replace witloof with leek. Easy peasy huh? Here we go...

Leek with Ham and Cheese Au Gratin (my own recipe)

INGREDIENTS (for 3 persons)
9 stalks of leek
6 pieces of ham (each piece of ham must be big enough to wrap up the leek)
1 packet of KNORR cheese sauce
some grated cheese
 
METHOD
1a. First wash the leeks thoroughly, cut off the green leafy part, leaving behind the stems, and then cut the stem into 2 parts - the white stem and the not-so-white stem. So you have 2 stems for each stalk of leek. Retain the 2 stems but do not discard the top part (as seen in the picture) as they can still be used for making leek soup.


1b. Put the leeks in a big pot of slightly salted water and let it cook for about 15 min. Make sure there is sufficient water to cover the leeks.

2. After 15 min, take 250 ml of water from the pot of leeks and use it to prepare the cheese sauce in a separate pot. (the instructions on the packet says to cook the cheese sauce for just 1 min and not to boil it.)

3. Remove and drain the leeks. Carefully wrap a piece of ham around 3 pieces of leek stems. Place the rolled leeks in an oven-proof glass dish, pour the cheese sauce over it, and sprinkle grated cheese generously over the rolled leeks.


4. Bake in a preheated oven at 200C for about 20-30 min or until the grated cheese on top of the leeks are nicely browned. 


 

1 comment:

  1. What a good thing to be able to eat out of your backyard garden. My sis showed me the other day what she had harvest...apples, squash, tomatoes...and she has cucumbers, strawberries, grapes, wolfberries, avocados, and even watermelon at her backyard! My cherry tomatoes which I grow in a pot at the corridor bear 3 tiny fruits not bigger than blueberries :'( My other herbs are doing quite ok though.

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails