Friday, August 27, 2010

Claypot Chicken Rice using Ricecooker




I just came back from a hectic 5-day trip to the city of lights, Paris. That explains my absence for a week. My ex-colleague, the "Ambitious Cloud" who came to visit us in Belgium and who accompanied us on the trip to Paris, reminded me that I have not posted my secret recipe for the claypot chicken rice which I cooked for her last Sunday. She wants to try the claypot rice when she returns to Singapore, but with pork chop instead of chicken.

This claypot rice is traditionally cooked using a claypot in Singapore coffeeshops and restaurants. But most households do not have claypots at home, besides you need a gas stove instead of an electric stove and you need to watch the fire in case the claypot rice gets burnt. So here is a shortcut to cooking claypot rice without the claypot. Use the ricecooker instead, and the taste is just as good.

So, dear "Ambitious Cloud", here is my "secret recipe" as promised. I hope that I get to eat claypot rice cooked by you the next time I return to Singapore. :) Don't always say you don't know how to cook, bcos you have been trained this time round. :p

Recipe adapted from "The Best of Singapore Cooking" by Mrs Leong Yee Soo

(Recipe for 3 persons)
INGREDIENT A
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp dark soya sauce

INGREDIENT B
1 thumb-sized ginger, shredded finely
3 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
4 shallots, sliced thinly

INGREDIENT C
2 tbsp light soya sauce
1 tbsp dark soya sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp sesami oil
1 chicken cube, mashed
1/4 tsp pepper

Other Ingredients
600g deboned chicken, cut into small pieces *
4 tbsp oil
4 dried chinese mushrooms, soaked and sliced
2 cups uncooked thai rice, washed and drained
2 cups water
2 chinese sausages, fried and sliced thinly
chinese parsley (optional)

* I used big chicken drumsticks cos I need to get rid of the frozen drumsticks in my freezer. The original recipe calls for using deboned chicken pieces.

METHOD
1. Marinade the chicken with ingredient A for 30 min.

2. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a hot pan and fry the chicken til brown on all sides. Set the chicken aside.

3. Fry the sliced chinese sausages til they are crackling but not burnt. Set the sausages aside.

4. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a wok and fry ingredient B til light brown. Add the mushrooms and stir fry for 1 min. Add the uncooked rice, stir well and make sure oil is absorbed.

5. Mix ingredient C in a bowl and add the seasoning to the rice together .Fry for a while. Remove the rice, place it in the rice cooker, add 2 cups of water, preferably the water used to soak the mushrooms. Ratio is 1 cup of water for every 1 cup of rice. Press the "cook" button. 

6. When the rice is almost cooked, place the fried chinese sausages and fried chicken pieces on top of the rice in the rice cooker. Leave them in the rice cooker to keep warm.

7. Serve while still hot.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks!! This tastes awesome and easy to make. However my rice came out a little grainy. I used the recommended 1 to 1 rice and water ratio. is it because I didn't fry the rice enough?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi anonymous,

    Glad to hear that you like the dish. May I know what kind of rice are you using, is it thai rice? You shouldn't have to fry the rice for long, just 1 to 2 min will do, the purpose is to absorb the seasonings, and not to cook it in the wok. Cooking the rice is supposed to be done by the ricecooker.

    If your rice turned out to be grainy, it means that you should add more water, but if it turned out to be sticky, then less water should be added. The 1 cup water to 1 cup rice is just an estimate, it depends on your ricecooker too, each ricecooker is slightly different, like for mine, there is a COOK and a RAPID COOK function, and the effect on the rice is slightly different.

    Usually when I cook plain rice, I don't even use a rice cup to measure the water, I just pour enough water such that the water level is just slightly (not more than 1cm) above the rice, you would have to know your ricecooker quite well and adjust the recipe accordingly to your favour. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails