Sunday, August 1, 2010

Almond Cookies (Amandelkoekjes)


I first baked these cookies in late January just before Chinese New Year, when I wanted to bring some cookies back for my family in Singapore. So I found this recipe, had a try at it and gave some to my hubby, who in turn shared them with his colleagues at work. Then my hubby came back and told me that these almond cookies are what they called "amandelkoekjes" in Belgium. So it seems some recipes are universal after all. It was quite a success and I subsequently baked the cookies again at least 4-5 times, making 80 cookies each time. 

These almond cookies, together with peanut cookies, are quite popular in Singapore especially during CNY. I can assure you it is finger-licking delicious, it is crunchy on the outside but melts in your mouth. In fact, it can be quite fattening, given the amount of almonds, butter and sugar in it. But then again, if it is not fattening, it won't be delicious right?

I still have some ground almond powder left, I think I should attempt to bake the belgian version of almond cookies or amandelkoekjes the next week or so.

I promised to share the recipe a few months ago in my one of my earlier blog postings, so here it is. This is a recipe which I adapted from Fenying's blog (which has ceased to exist but I have copied down most of her recipes).

Ingredients A
125g butter
125g margarine
200g icing sugar

Ingredients B
2 egg yolks
1/4 tsp vanilla essence

Ingredients C
350g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

Ingredients D
150g ground almond powder

Ingredients E
1 egg yolk + few drops of water
(beaten, for glazing)

METHOD
1. Cream A until well-mixed using an electric mixer.

2. Add in B and beat well using an electric mixer.

3. Fold in C (sifted flour) using a spatula/wooden spoon.

4. Add in D (ground almond) and mix using a spatula/wooden spoon, then use your hands to form a soft dough.

5. Shape into small balls (the size of a rounded teaspoon). Arrange the cookies on a lined and greased baking tray, at least 3-4 cm apart. Brush with E (egg glaze).

6. Bake in preheated oven on the middle shelf at 180C for 15 to 20 min.

Note:
- This recipe will produce 80 cookies or so, if you use a rounded teaspoon to scoop and shape each cookie. Since I was only able to squeeze 20 cookies in a tray, you would have to bake in the oven 4 times.
- It is highly recommended to use 50% butter and 50% margarine for this recipe.

2 comments:

  1. This recipe is incredible! I made really cute rose shaped cookies, and also used the dough to make a pineapple tart-hybrid, so versatile. Have linked to your recipe from my post :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails