Saturday, August 14, 2010

15 August - Mothers' Day in Antwerp

Mothers' Day is traditionally celebrated on the 2nd Sunday of May, but here in Antwerp (only in Antwerp, not in other parts of Belgium), they celebrate Mothers' Day on 15 August. 

Why? Because 15 August is the Day of the Assumption, the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, a day celebrating Mother Mary's being taken bodily to heaven at her death. It is a public holiday here in Belgium.

Since Sunday is Mothers' Day, I was given a treat by my hubby at a local taverne or brasserie called Peter & Zout on Friday. So what did I order? Guess what...vlaamse stoverij or flemish beef stew...hmm yummy yummy.

Here are some pictures of my flemish beef stew, I think my own home-made version looked and tasted almost as good as that served by the restaurant. :)


Ok, to be fair, the flemish beef stew that they served, had more sauce than mine...mine was a tad too dry. :)


My hubby had a belgian satay dish, I dunno what they call it in Dutch. It was very appetizing too, and we both enjoyed our main courses with belgian fries. All in all, we had an enjoyable evening on Friday without the baby (His Majesty).

So here is wishing everybody in Antwerp, a very Happy Mothers' Day!!! Gelukkige Moederkesdag!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails