Sunday, July 11, 2010

Pan-grilled Pork Chop with Pineapples and Sweet Sour Sauce

We have had dry and hot weather for almost a week, without a single drop of rain until saturday night. This must be one of the best summers in Belgium, with temperatures soaring up to 36 degrees. I dunno whether I should feel happy or not. But we have not been able to sleep at night due to the hot and stifling weather. Turn on the air-con or the fan? No, we have neither. Installing air-con at home is definitely out of the question, when there are less than 7 days of weather above 30 degrees per year. Not all offices in Belgium have air-cons installed. My hubby's office has one, he is lucky. Even universities don't have air-cons, not even fans in the classrooms and lecture halls. I was sitting in a bus without windows and air-cons for 30 min and I nearly puked after the long bumpy journey from Antwerp back home, cursing all my way at De Lijn. It was 30 degrees outside but it felt like a 50 degrees sauna inside the bus. I actually jumped off the bus and called my chauffeur (my hubby) to pick me up halfway. I thought I would probably be mentally and physically roasted if I managed to last the whole 45 min journey. :)

Anyway, such hot weather requires something sweet and sour to stimulate the appetite. I had wanted to prepare a cold refreshing dish but later decided to cook porkchops with pineapples and sweet sour sauce. Together with the pak choy I bought from the chinatown in antwerp, it was a good match. 

INGREDIENTS
Marinade
2 tbsp tomato sauce
1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
1 tbsp sherry / brandy
2 tbsp light soya sauce
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp pepper

Other ingredients
600g pork chops
2 tbsp veg oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 small can of pineapples

METHOD
1. Wash the pork chop, drain well and dry with a tea towel.

2. Mix the marinade in a big bowl and marinade the pork chops for 3-4 hours. 

3. Heat up a big pan with a little oil and fry the chopped onions until soft and fragrant. Dish up the onions and retain for use later. 

4. Add 2 tbsp veg oil over high heat. Pan grill the pork chops for about 10 min, turning every now and then to make sure both sides are browned. When the pork chops are half-cooked, add in the onions and the canned pineapples together with the pineapple juice. Mix well and continue to bake the pork chops until they are done. Serve hot with steamed rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails