Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Sweet and Sour Chicken


I am in a sweet and sour mood today. I wanted to make hainanese pork chop but I didn't have any pork chops in my freezer so I decided to do sweet and sour chicken instead. I tried out a recipe which I have copied quite some time ago, but never had a chance to try bcos I don't really like deep-frying. You know how it is, the oil from deep-frying sometimes splatters onto your arms and onto the floor and the smell lingers on your clothes and your hair for ages. I absolutely hate it. Do I sound like the type of girl who stays clear of the kitchen? Yah right, until 2 years ago. :)

Anyway, back to this Sweet and Sour Chicken. I followed the recipe to a T, but I replaced the worchester sauce and plum sauce (which I don't currently stock in my kitchen) with sweet and sour sauce from "Lee Kum Kee". The sauce was really good and the chicken pieces remained crunchy after deep-frying due to the addition of baking soda in the batter. That is the trick, now you can say bye bye to soggy fried chicken! I regretted not throwing in some onions and pineapple cubes as I recalled eating them as part of sweet and sour chicken. Nevermind, I will include them for the next time! But the next time, I think I will make hainanese pork chop instead, I miss them so much....

Recipe adapted from RasaMalaysia, reproduced here for easy reference.

INGREDIENTS
600g boneless, skinless chicken breast (cut into bite-size cubes)
1 tbsp shaoxing wine
1 bowl of red and green bell peppers (cut into strips)
2 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
Oil for frying

Batter
4 tbsp all-purpose flour
4 tbsp corn starch
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Sweet and Sour Sauce
3 tbsp ketchup
3 tbsp chili sauce
1 tsp plum sauce
1/2 tsp worcestershire sauce
 

1 tbsp sweet and sour sauce (Lee Kum Kee)
1/4 tsp chinese rice vinegar
1/2 tsp oyster sauce
3 tbsp water
1/2 tsp corn starch
3 dashes white pepper powder
2 tbsp oil

METHOD
1. Cut the chicken breast meat into bite-size cubes and marinate with 1 tablespoon of wine for 10 minutes. Mix the batter in a bowl and add the chicken cubes into the batter. Mix the sweet and sour sauce in a small bowl and set aside.

2. Heat up cooking oil in a wok and deep fry the chicken cubes. (Shake off the extra batter before frying). Transfer the chicken out on a plate lined with paper towels to soak up the excess oil. Transfer the cooking oil out and leave only 2 tablespoons oil in the wok.

3. Add garlic and saute the garlic until light brown and then follow by the bell peppers. Stir-fry until you smell the aroma. Add the sweet and sour sauce into the wok and bring it to boil. Toss in the chicken, do a few quick stirs, dish out and serve immediately with steamed white rice.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, how lovely this looks. I could eat this several times a month. You asked about making ice cream without a machine. I used to have the same problem. I found, finally, that the problem was my mixture was not cold enough before I began to freeze it. I also check mine every hour while it is in the freezer and scape any solids from the sides of the pan towards the center. The article by David Lebovitz in my post should also help as well. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best sweet and sour I ever had was in Kuching Borneo. I knew the restaurant would be good when I had to wait with the crowds for a table. The sauce was thick like marmalade, giving that wonderful gooey chewy texture. I am going to try this recipe simply because the sauce looks like marmalade and sounds right.

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails