Aspiring Bakers #31 - Bao Ho-Chiak 包好吃 (May 2013)

Looking for the best chinese steamed bun recipe? Here is the Roundup for Aspiring Bakers #31 - Bao Ho-Chiak 包好吃 (May 2013).

And if you are into steaming cakes, don't forget to browse through the Roundup for Aspiring Bakers #25 - Steaming Hot Cakes (Oct 2012).

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Vietnamese Pho Soup with a twist



We went to the Chinese supermarket (Sun Wah) in Borsbeek on Sunday (they are one of the very few places in Antwerp province which are open from 10am to 5pm on Sundays). I bought some rice noodles, japanese sushi rice and pak choy (小白菜). My hubby paid for the groceries and on our way back to the car, I realised that there was a mysterious bag of beansprouts (豆芽) in the shopping basket. I didn't put the beansprouts in my shopping basket. I asked my hubby if the cashier had taken the beansprouts by mistake and charged to our grocery bill. He said he had already thrown away the receipt. (So fast??? Why are men always like that? Don't they ever learn?) So we did a mental calculation and figured that either the beansprouts were very cheap or it was given for free by the cashier.

So what do you do with such a big bag of beansprouts? I am the only one who eats beansprouts at home. The Vietnamese Pho Soup sprung to my mind. Good idea, I have everything I need : beansprouts, rice noodles, cinnamon sticks, star anise, cloves, black peppercorns, onions, ginger, fish sauce and beef bouillon cubes. All except fresh sliced beef,spring onions and coriander leaves.  What the heck, I will do an improvised version of vietnamese pho soup with beef meatballs. Who cares, nobody will know the difference, except myself, hahaha.


INGREDIENTS (for 3 persons)
1.5 litres beef bouillon 
50g fresh ginger, sliced
2 medium onions, halved
2 cinnamon sticks
2 star anise
3 cloves
2 tsp black peppercorns
3 tbsp thai fish sauce
500g rice noodles (soaked in boiling water and drained)
100g beansprouts
250g beef, sliced thinly
2 spring onions, chopped
2 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped

METHOD
1. In a big pot, bring the beef bouillon, ginger, onions, spices and fish sauce to the boil. Lower the heat, cover the pot and let it simmer for 30 min.

2. Pour the bouillon through a sieve and discard whatever is trapped in the sieve. Put the bouillon back into the pot and bring it to a boil again.

3. Divide the rice noodles, beansprouts, and sliced beef into bowls and pour the boiling bouillon over each bowl.

4. Sprinkle some chopped spring onions and coriander leaves on top and serve immediately.

Note :
- I used frozen beef meatballs instead of fresh sliced beef, and I let it cook for a while in the bouillon.
- I used chinese rice vermicelli, instead of flat rice noodles, which I soaked in a bowl of boiling water to let it soften. I added it to the bouillon for a while to let it absorb the flavour of the soup. 
- I used beef bouillon cubes instead of fresh beef soup/stock to make 1.5 L of beef stock.

1 comment:

  1. I love this recipe, we've pho occasionally and this recipe doesn't fail us. I go slightly easier on the fish sauce though (maybe two tablespoons or less). It's always good starting from scratch (or almost scratch, since we don't use bones to make the base). A Vietnamese gave me a pho spice pack, but it's AWFUL. Maybe I don't know how to use the spice pack to make the soup nice, but for once it is easier to make everything using fresh ingredients.

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails