Aspiring Bakers #31 - Bao Ho-Chiak 包好吃 (May 2013)

Looking for the best chinese steamed bun recipe? Here is the Roundup for Aspiring Bakers #31 - Bao Ho-Chiak 包好吃 (May 2013).

And if you are into steaming cakes, don't forget to browse through the Roundup for Aspiring Bakers #25 - Steaming Hot Cakes (Oct 2012).

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Spicy Tom Yam Bee Hoon - My Own Style


 

This is not really a thai dish, it is something I invented myself. I thought I would do a fried bee hoon (rice vermicelli) with the MAGGI tom yam stock cube that I have brought over from Singapore, which is expiring soon. So I came up with this bee hoon laced with tom yam sauce. The result is quite good and pretty spicy, hence I am sharing the recipe here.

INGREDIENTS (for 3 persons)
300g bee hoon (rice vermicelli)
2 cloves garlic, chopped finely
1 small onion, sliced thinly
2 small chillis, cut finely
1 carrot, cut into strips
150g prawns
150g mixed seafood
3 eggs, beaten
1.5 cups tom yam stock 
(you can use my tom yam soup recipe or MAGGI tom yam stock cube)

Seasonings
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp dark soya sauce
1 tbsp light soya sauce
1 tsp sesami oil
1 tsp sugar
salt and pepper to taste

METHOD
1. Soak the bee hoon in boiling water to let it soften, drain it and set aside.

2. Heat up a wok with 2 tbsp oil over high heat. Add garlic and stir-fry til fragrant. Then add onions, chilli and carrots and stir-fry for a while.

3. Push the ingredients to one side, add the beaten eggs and scramble it.

4. Add the prawns and mixed seafood and continue to stir-fry.

5. Add the seasonings and 1 cup of tom yam stock and let it come to a boil.

6. Finally add the bee hoon, stir-fry it until most of the stock is absorbed by the bee hoon. You can add the remaining 1/2 cup of tom yam stock little by little if the bee hoon is too dry. Serve the bee hoon while it is still warm.


2 comments:

  1. Hi B, Thanks for sharing this recipe. This is something I would cook at home. Instead of the tom yum stock cube, I would use the tom yum paste (they have these in little bottles sold in Delhaize). BTW, is 1 cup = 240ml? At least I thought so. Thanks for a heads up...IH (nasifriet)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nasifriet,

    I didn't know Dehaize sells tom yum taste, thanks for letting me know :) Sorry I am less precise in my measurements in cooking than baking. I used the cup used for baking, so that is approx 1 cup = 200ml.

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails