Saturday, May 8, 2010

Soup as simple as ABC

This soup is as simple as ABC, just assemble the following vegetables, chop into big pieces and throw into a pot of boiling water and forget about it. And you can spend your next 2 hours watching TV. After 2 hours, voila, you can enjoy a bowl of hot, nutritious and wholesome soup :) 



Recipe adapted from Food-4Tots
 
Ingredients (for 3 persons)
2 tsp "MAGGI" ikan bilis stock granules
2 potatoes, quartered
2 tomatoes, quartered
1 medium onion, quartered
2 carrots, cut into chunks
4 stems of celery, cut into 2 cm pieces
3 laurier leaves
1 litre water

Method
1. Bring the water to boil in a big pot. Add 2 tsp "MAGGI" ikan bilis stock granules. (You may substitute with chicken stock too)

2. Throw in everything and let it boil again. Then lower the heat and let it simmer for 2 hours.

3. Season with salt and pepper, as you wish, just before serving.

Note : The original recipe uses salmon fish bones which are blanched and put into a soup bag. As I am rushing for time and don't have any bones, I fall back on my good old MAGGI stock granules brought from Singapore. For me, there is no need to add any other seasoning such as salt and pepper, because the ikan bilis stock in itself gives the soup a very rich, salty and slightly sweet flavour. And the other vegetables such as celery and tomatoes also give the soup a very wholesome taste. 

3 comments:

  1. This soup is my family all-time favourite. Yours looks so tasty!! Btw, thanks for link back. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love the soup too! Although I don't make chinese soups - when I go home to mum's she does. We call this ABC soup at home too 'cos mum & dad used to tell us as kids this soup had Vits A, B & C! lol They use pork chops and pork bones as a base instead of stock cubes and I'm not sure what the leaves you used are? Bay leaves? We don't add those but it is a great soup and my younger brother loves it - he is a potato fiend! ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually I love chinese soups more than western soups, come to think of it, I should make it an effort to make chinese soup once a week or so. But am too lazy to get fresh pork ribs and it is difficult to get chinese herbs too. Btw, the bay leaf is not necessary, it is more a western thing, I don't think they use that in S'pore or M'sia.

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails