Aspiring Bakers #31 - Bao Ho-Chiak 包好吃 (May 2013)

Looking for the best chinese steamed bun recipe? Here is the Roundup for Aspiring Bakers #31 - Bao Ho-Chiak 包好吃 (May 2013).

And if you are into steaming cakes, don't forget to browse through the Roundup for Aspiring Bakers #25 - Steaming Hot Cakes (Oct 2012).

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Baking Frenzy - Moist Chocolate Cake

Whenever I have to bake seriously (all my other baking adventures are frivolous experiments by the way), that is whenever I have intended recipients in mind for my cakes, I always reach out for a few of my much-treasured, tried and tested recipes. One of them is a moist chocolate cake recipe which I have made at least 10 times, if not 20. The recipe was originally from Pusiva's Culinary Studio. I have tried so many of her cake recipes with success but this remains my all-time favourite. You don't need expensive cooking chocolate, just instant coffee powder and some good-quality cocoa powder (I go for Van Houten). The result will be a very delicious and moist chocolate cake. 

I was in a baking frenzy last night and I baked this cake (as well as 2 others) for His Majesty's 1st birthday. I passed the chocolate cake around and the plate came back empty within a minute. :)

Happy Birthday to His Majesty !

(Here is my recipe, adapted from Pusiva)

INGREDIENTS
1 1/4 cup plain flour (150g)
1/4 cup cocoa powder (30g)
3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda

2 tbsp hot water
1 tsp instant coffee powder or granules

3/4 cup sugar (150g) 
2/3 cup butter (150g)
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla essence

3/4 cup water

METHOD
1. Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.

2. Dissolve the coffee with hot water. Set aside.

3. Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time. Beat well. Beat in the coffee and vanilla essence. 

4. Gently fold in the flour mixture alternating with water. Start and end with the flour mixture.

5. Pour the batter into a greased (7-inch) baking pan. Bake at 190° C for 50-55 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. (The cake will always crack, but if the inside is still quite wet, put it back into the oven for another 5 min to make sure it is fully baked.)  

Note : I made a few adjustments to the original recipe. First, I cut down the sugar from 200g to 150g because 200g is far too sweet for me. Second, I always bake at 190C for 50 min instead of 175C in the original recipe, as the cake always take longer than 1 hour if I bake at 175C. I guess each and every oven is different, so you have to adapt the baking time or temperature to suit your own oven. The final result will be a cracked chocolate cake, but don't be fooled by the looks, the taste is really good.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a yummy and straightforward cake, I like it! :) I like it that it doesn't require expensive chocolate like dutch cocoa powder :p thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails