Aspiring Bakers #31 - Bao Ho-Chiak 包好吃 (May 2013)

Looking for the best chinese steamed bun recipe? Here is the Roundup for Aspiring Bakers #31 - Bao Ho-Chiak 包好吃 (May 2013).

And if you are into steaming cakes, don't forget to browse through the Roundup for Aspiring Bakers #25 - Steaming Hot Cakes (Oct 2012).

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Baking Frenzy - Banana Walnut Cake



Nothing excites me more than when I am in a baking frenzy. Luckily that doesn't happen often. Although I do enjoy an adrenaline rush from baking and eating good cakes but my waistline cannot support this habit. So I tried to limit myself to baking 1 cake per week. This exception was broken for His Majesty's birthday. I baked 3 cakes (banana walnut cake, moist chocolate cake and lemon butter cake) and 2 rolls (cinnamon roll and cheesy orange marmalade roll) within 2 days. In the end, I think I really smelled like a cake. The smell of butter in my hair....hmmn, not so nice...if you know what I mean.

This cake is another well-duplicated cake, so many people have baked using this banana cake recipe from Aunty Yochana. I am just another "copy-cat". I have tried this many times but this time round I decided to add in some walnuts, in an attempt to emulate my favourite banana walnut cake from the famous Bengawan Solo bakery in Singapore.


(Recipe adapted from Aunty Yochana's Banana Cake recipe)

INGREDIENTS
180g butter
180g fine sugar
2 extra large eggs - beaten lightly
250g flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 bananas - mashed using a fork
50g whipped cream 60g milk
1/2 tsp banana essence
1/2 banana - sliced thinly for decoration
1/2 cup walnuts - grinded

METHOD
1. Cream butter and sugar till light and creamy.

2. Pour in eggs gradually and beat till creamy.

3. Add in milk, mashed bananas and banana essence and mix well.

4. Fold in sifted ingredients (flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda) and walnuts.

5. Pour into an 8 inch cake pan, arrange sliced bananas on top by pressing them lightly into the cake batter.


6. Bake at 175C for about 50 to 60 mins. 



Note : The original recipe used 50g whipped cream, but I replaced it with low-fat milk, and instead of 50g, I added 10g more milk to make it 60g because I added in walnuts. If you are baking a plain banana cake without walnuts, just stick to 50g of whipped cream or milk.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for visiting me.

    This is a very popular cake and I'm another "copycat". Have tried many banana cake recipes but still find this the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this easy recipe. Absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your feedback, Kelly. Glad you like it. :)

      Delete

Hi,
Thank you for dropping by my blog and taking the time to comment. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave your name (real or nick) if you would like me to answer a recipe question, otherwise all. anonymous questions and comments will be strictly ignored. Anonymity is one of my pet peeves. And any spam or links to adverts will be deleted. Thank you and have a nice day!

Print Button

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails